It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
2013 CVO State of Affairs 
CVO Secretary

It's been brought up that unless you were already deeply involved in the CVO, you might not have kept up on all of the various announcements on the current state of affairs for the club. We never meant for these things to be kept from the club, we're just a bit short handed (and we're trying to do the best we can do). So in an attempt to address this, here's a summary of where things stand:

CVO Board of Directors - CVO Board members serve two years on the board, with terms expiring in December. With three terms having ended and one director needing to withdraw, we currently have four (4!) vacancies on the board. Assistant Director (Responsible for organizing Treffen), Motorsports Director, Communications Director, and Secretary are all currently vacant. If you would like to step up and join the board, please let us know, but don't take any of these positions lightly, there is a considerable amount of time and effort that gets spent doing any of these.

Motorsports - The CVO is currently not scheduled to be putting on any motorsport events in 2013. The board tried everything they could think of to promote interest in the 2012 AX season, and came away loosing money on the majority of the AX events, so it's simply not financially viable to continue. If you have ideas, and more importantly commitment, for getting CVO motorsports going again, we would welcome you to join the board. Again, we'd love to continue to put on motorsports events, we just can't afford it.

Treffen - Even before we went down an Assistant Director, we were planning on making Treffen 17 a smaller affair, more of a throwback to the "VW family reunion" that we always bill it as. That's still the plan going forward. If you're pissed that more about Treffen 17 hasn't been announced, again, we'd ask you to channel that into joining the board.

Events - Winter Cruise days happened once a month this winter, and Cruise Nights/Suburban Tours will start up again in April. The destinations for the monthly Suburban Tour cruises will be announced shortly, but we're again trying to appeal to everyone by having the tours end up (and some start) all over the Chicago area.

So in conclusion, instead of getting angry/annoyed/apathetic about the current direction of the club, get involved. The CVO is only as good as you make it. We welcome constructive feedback.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:10 am
Profile WWW
CVO Forums User

Nick, thanks for your post. Please note that I'm very interested in secretary position. Pls send me detailed job responsibilities to my personal email.

Thanks.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:43 pm
CVO Member

Thanks for the reply nick. I was wondering what was going on. It's kinda hard to keep up being from MI and so far away. Hope everything is working out though and keep up all of the great work.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:34 pm
CVO Forums User

dam! I feel bad ...for being mad @ cvo ...about treffen 17 .. I really dig that event ...and sure as hell wouldn't like that event to fade away..so if there any way I could help just left me know ...If I can help in anyway

Charlie Katana :hmmm: MY bad !

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:05 pm
CVO Forums User

Wow this really sucks! I still hope the Treffen cruise still happens.

Can't we start a donation...?

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:24 pm
CVO Forums User

I think that the club should reach out to current members and past members to renew their membership......

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:33 pm
CVO Motorsports Director

Reading all of this and everyones "wonderful" suggestions really pisses me off.

Really Greg? Money mis-managed? what f*** money? how can you mis manage something that doesn't exist? When I came on board the club had no money and we struggled to bring it back once we did it went down hill as usual. the ONLY reason there was a 2012 season was because Shelly and myself paid out of pocket the $800 to rent alexian field. Which we barley made money on to keep the season going. Everyone has great suggestions when its too late. Where was everyone when they got the emails to re-new memberships? no one did and now that the club ran out of money everyone has something to say that can help.

Chris Shafstma, or however you spell your last name. You of all people piss me off with your suggestions, sure you're a CVO "OG" but when was the last time you did anything to benefit the club? I think I saw you at ONE event in the last 5-6 years I was around the club and you always have all these awesome internet suggestions but because of actions like yours the club is failing. You want to help? show to an event, promote it or donate money to the club don't just sit there at talk shit online like you have something to say about a club you have been absent from for years.

Karl, Steve, Sara, Nick, Vince, Shelly, and myself all tried really hard to bring the club back and even when Dawid came on board he did everything in his power to make it better. We used our own money to keep it going that we never got back and when everyone got burnt out because the clubs members could give a shit less. and now when it hits rock bottom everyone wants to give a helping hand?

DO SOMETHING don't just sit there and post useless info online with no action to follow. I personally am burnt out working on it for the last 3 years hence why I did NOT renew my board membership. But since everyone has so much to add. TAKE ACTION

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:42 pm
CVO Member

Eh i had a good run with cvo, my life will move on.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:27 am
CVO Forums User

OK I am tired of this f-ing negative talk. Maybe if so called club members were less cliquish and more open to new people, maybe then we would not have this problem. I went to a couple of those wings etc nights gtg and felt like an odd one out. I do consider myself pretty outgoing person who is not too shy and talks to people quite easily. Being tight knit is great but also alienates new members if no effort made to make them feel welcome. That being said maybe we should chart a new course and figure out what this club should mean for all interested not a few close knit friends. My 2 cents

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:43 am
CVO Member

JR32 wrote:
Chris Shafstma, or however you spell your last name. You of all people piss me off with your suggestions, sure you're a CVO "OG" but when was the last time you did anything to benefit the club? I think I saw you at ONE event in the last 5-6 years I was around the club and you always have all these awesome internet suggestions but because of actions like yours the club is failing. You want to help? show to an event, promote it or donate money to the club don't just sit there at talk shit online like you have something to say about a club you have been absent from for years.

Thanks Jake. Glad that you totally missed the point, which was if there is an issue let's have a transparent conversation about it rather than sweeping it under the rug.

A quick tip for next time you want people to help with something is to not reject their comments or suggestions as "talking shit". The vast majority of the time people are just trying to help.

As far as my activity level with the club - you obviously don't know me, or what is going on in my life so - Yes I was a CVO "OG". Yes I spent 3 or 4 terms on the board, and tried to help as much as I could when I was able to. Yes we organized events as board members in the early days knowing that if it was a flop that we would have to personally cover the financial short-fall. But that was a long time ago. I am not able to be routinely active in the club anymore, even as a participant, let alone a volunteer (though hopefully that will change one day). I made a decision several years ago to go road racing, and got more active in another club that focuses on that. Since then I also have been blessed with two great children (one with special needs), a challenging career, and for the past three years have been balancing being a father, husband, full time professional and a graduate school student while traveling for work often. That said, I am a bit flattered that it meant so much to you that I was not able to do much with the club over that time.

I do know how you feel. I fell into the same trap myself. It is easy to take everything personally when you feel like you are doing everything, and people are just b*** about it. All I can say is that when you realize that it is never personal, it gets a lot easier, and you tend to be able to garner more support.

With school finally done, and a new race car project in full swing, I do hope that I can start making it out to more CVO events later this year and going forward. Just let me know if I should not bother.

A2 Golf H-Production race car
Jetta Coupe H-Production race car
2005 20v Gulf Stream Independence - vacation home/tow vehicle

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:53 pm
CVO Motorsports Director

Chris, I don't blame you for being absent, I chose not to continue being on the board for some of the same reasons. It just makes me flip out when everyone has some suggestion or something negative to say but not actually contribute to the club or an event. As for "bothering" to come out. I have no say in that, but Im sure they club would more than appreciate you coming and supporting an event and brining some of the people you road race with to help support and promote CVO.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:12 pm
CVO Member

What positions are open? What skills/responsibilities are associated with those positions? What are the expected time commitments of those positions?
I (or others) might be able to help but have no idea what the positions require.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:42 am
CVO Forums User

shaman427 wrote:
OK I am tired of this f-ing negative talk. Maybe if so called club members were less cliquish and more open to new people, maybe then we would not have this problem. I went to a couple of those wings etc nights gtg and felt like an odd one out. I do consider myself pretty outgoing person who is not too shy and talks to people quite easily. Being tight knit is great but also alienates new members if no effort made to make them feel welcome. That being said maybe we should chart a new course and figure out what this club should mean for all interested not a few close knit friends. My 2 cents

I feel you on that one man! the one cool member that was way down to earth was karl (ko-32) that brother always motivated me to attend on all the cvo events I even visited the gingerman just to check out the track...and seeing him win acouple of awards by other vw events motivated me to prep my ride and attend treffen 15 in which I took 1st. ...thanks karl I will still be your homiey or homes (wtf)

Charlie :hmmm: f@ck all you fake ass wiggers

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:01 pm
CVO Forums User

wow this sucks so can anyone of the current board members message me and tell me whats needed for Midwest Treffen to happen i would like to help make this happen and i would like to step up and join the board and help you guys out with cvo :thumbup:

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:21 am
CVO Assistant Director

Nick,

Thank you for taking the time to put together an informative post for all members to read, understand, and respond to in their own way. As Nick said, none of the board members wished to keep things a secret. Hopefully this information will lead some of the existing members to consider contributing to the board. I will, however, second Nick's comments in saying that IF you are considering being part of the board, think long and hard about how much time you can commit. Speaking from my own experience, it can become a second job if you truly put the effort in. Treffen become my life for almost three years as your Assistant Director, and unfortunately life has taken me in a different direction now.

At a much higher level than what has been stated here, CVO was started around motorsports, with cruise events and even Treffen being a sidebar. The VW scene in recent years has made a significant shift away from motorsports events and the Chicago area is no exception. Are there still VW folks that want to have motorsports involvement? Absolutely. However that small contingent of the enthusiast crowd is not nearly large enough to be financially viable on its own. In addition, the Chicago area has moved away from events like Treffen (hence Treffen 17 being significantly downsized). All of these factors led to a challenging 2012 for CVO, challenges that the board met without needing to convey many of those challenges to the members.

CVO can still benefit greatly from a board of directors, and can still maintain a presence in the Chicago area. Thanks to Treffen 16, CVO has the ear of VWofA....thats no small task and should make CVO members and board members proud. Many of us on the board have run our course and our lives are taking different directions now, but that doesn't mean CVO can't thrive under the leadership of a new board. All it takes is involvement from the members who wouldn't otherwise consider it. I was one of those members 4 years ago and it was a great experience.

Cheers :cool2:

- Clarkson

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:54 am
CVO Forums User

with that being said this club wont fall apart if actions are taken and anyone that is willing to help step up , show up to events and support the club and like vmchurch said "think long and hard about how much time you can commit" if u willing to be a board member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:07 am
CVO Forums User

I hadnt seen this post as it seemed to be locked with the tapatalk app but i will be going friday to the meet even if it rains i have an idea on the location of treffen we can talk about it there and see what u guys think:)

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:28 pm
CVO Director

Gti08mkv wrote:
I hadnt seen this post as it seemed to be locked with the tapatalk app but i will be going friday to the meet even if it rains i have an idea on the location of treffen we can talk about it there and see what u guys think:)

I'll be there and open to any ideas, suggestions and talks. If it rains that is what Portillo's is for ;)

2010 VW Jetta TDi Cup Edition: 6 spd Lazer Blue A Class Champ (2011); C Class Champ (2012) #902

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:56 pm
CVO Director

In addition over the weekend we'll be compiling a list of open positions and the descriptions for each position.

In regards to commitment of time, it is tough to describe. As Vince posted above if one puts in the the effort to really make things happen it can seem like a second full time job. You might find yourself going out of your way to get things done.

If wanting to be on the board is something anyone wants please keep that in mind.

2010 VW Jetta TDi Cup Edition: 6 spd Lazer Blue A Class Champ (2011); C Class Champ (2012) #902

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:06 pm
CVO Forums User

got desl? wrote:
Gti08mkv wrote:

I'll be there and open to any ideas, suggestions and talks. If it rains that is what Portillo's is for ;)

Very true most likely ill be in the GLI so u guys can meet her haha

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:12 pm
CVO Forums User

got desl? wrote:
In addition over the weekend we'll be compiling a list of open positions and the descriptions for each position.

In regards to commitment of time, it is tough to describe. As Vince posted above if one puts in the the effort to really make things happen it can seem like a second full time job. You might find yourself going out of your way to get things done.

If wanting to be on the board is something anyone wants please keep that in mind.

:thumbup:

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:58 pm

So this is not exactly the kind of thread that's encouraging to read when you're looking for a VW/Audi/German car club to get involved with. How have things been going in the past couple months since this was posted? $20/year for membership is trivial, but it would stink to join only to find out that group is dying or not very welcoming to new members. :(

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:45 pm
CVO Forums User

I was a new member two years ago and have made some really wonderful Long-Term friends in this club.

I know we do not have the funds to put on a show or any autocross event, but who said you needed money to still enjoy talking with people who have the same hobby as you do. I still go to every Cruise and meet that we host because I love the environment and the people.

I am not sure who said CVO isn't welcoming to new members. I think CVO struggles to find the means ($) to advertise to new people. However, many people have come across the forum and just shown up the the meets and cruises. We are very talkative and welcoming to all who show. Come and see for yourself!

The best way to support CVO is to come and join us when you can.

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul"

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:52 pm
CVO Communications Director

All I have to say is that during my time on the board everyone was super dedicated to each of their positions.

I myself may have not been as involved or dedicated as the rest, but did the best I could.
Updating the CVO website was one of my big accomplishments while serving on the board.

It is sad to see the club as it is today, but being a board member does take up a lot of your personal time and requires dedication.
Last year and the year prior the club accomplished some pretty amazing things, Treffen being one of them.
I am sure with the right people, things can get back to the same level as before.

I hope in the future, if the club is still thriving I will be able to jump back in and help out.

Cheers! :cool:

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:50 pm
CVO Member

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=5948872

They have Treffen down for 2013 on their list.... Seen a few of these threads with wrong info

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]