It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
prospective Sportwagen owner with diesel questions 

I live in far northern suburbs and am strongly considering buying a new Jetta Sportwagen TDI. However, I am a little concerned about the number of stations in the area that have the proper diesel fuel. Is there a resource out there that anyone would be willing to share with me that tells which gas stations in the northern suburbs carry the proper diesel mix/grade?

Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:01 pm
CVO Forums User

Good luck on that, I have yet to see such a thing. I have yet to experience a fuel issue in either of my cars. Most stations typically don't know what blend of bio they have anyways.

12 Golf TDI
10 Sportwagen TDI
90 Eunos Roadster

Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks for the response, Conrad. I love the notion of upper 40's MPG, but not knowing a ton about diesel fuel scares me a bit. I have been told that by putting in diesel that is not at the proper proportions (above the 5% bio mix), I would need to get my oil changed more frequently and that I might lose 3 to 4 MPG. Is that what you experience in your two vehicles?

Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:19 pm
CVO Forums User

I change my oil 5k anyways so for me, it doesn't really matter. Mileage will suffer a bit with a higher concentration of bio but that's life in Illinois. Winter blend fuel will also drop your mileage. The stations should be using the summer blend fuel now anyways, my mileage has gone up quite a bit in the last few weeks. Nothing to be scared about owning a diesel, go for it and don't look back :) BTW, the new Sportwagen is right around the corner along with a new TDI motors that promises even higher mileage.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/13 ... 80x782.jpg

12 Golf TDI
10 Sportwagen TDI
90 Eunos Roadster

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks, Conrad. We'll see what the next few days bring, but I think I am going to pull the trigger on a Spportwagen. The MPG is too much to pass up. I appreciate your responses.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:47 am
CVO Forums User

Anytime :)

12 Golf TDI
10 Sportwagen TDI
90 Eunos Roadster

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:26 pm
CVO Director

I've had my TDi going on 3 years now. I have mainly stuck to using BP stations for diesel. Sometimes I am forced to fill up at a Shell or Citgo.

I used to live in Round Lake with my parents for a short while and used either BP or Citgo in Mundelien. They were usually the best priced and never had any issues with bad diesel. I once filled up at a Thorntons and had a few rough starts but that was about it.

Each diesel station says their diesel is a Bio Diesel Blend containing 5%-20% bio. I have yet to see any stations that are strictly B20 or anything of that nature.

I continue to do my oil changes at the 10k mark per VW, have not been given a reason to change sooner than that. Also my fuel filter changes have been done at the 20k mark with no issues or signs of problems.

I've put well over 50k on my car in these 3 years and with one minor hiccup last week (N75 solenoid wiring issue) the car has served me well. Just get in, fill up and drive :thumbup:

2010 VW Jetta TDi Cup Edition: 6 spd Lazer Blue A Class Champ (2011); C Class Champ (2012) #902

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:00 am

Thanks for the tips! I did wind up buying the Sportwagen last night and there is no doubt that it is fun to drive! A few people have told me to either fill up at name brand gas stations or to go where trucks fill up as well.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:09 am
CVO Forums User

Awesome, congrats!

12 Golf TDI
10 Sportwagen TDI
90 Eunos Roadster

Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:38 pm
CVO Member

Conrad, Missed you last time I was in the shop. I forgot you was in Az at the time. you would have gotten to see the beeter....hahahahaha. And I am waiting on the Golf Sportwagen TDI AWD ( and not the alltrack version)

Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]