2011 Midwest Treffen

Discussion forum for Treffen 2011
mp3dub
CVO Secretary

2011 Midwest Treffen

Post by mp3dub » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:47 pm

Save the date! Midwest Treffen is all weekend August 12-14, 2011

Midwest Treffen was conceived as a family reunion for Volkswagen and Audi owners & enthusiasts across the Midwest. Over the years, Midwest Treffen has grown to be the Midwest’s largest event of its kind, continuing to provide the Volkswagen and Audi family with a unique car show weekend experience. Join us in making 2011 the best Midwest Treffen to date!
Midwest Treffen Autocross
August 13, 2011
Maywood Park
8600 W North Avenue
Melrose Park, IL 60160

Midwest Treffen Car Show
August 14, 2011
Oakton Community College
1600 E Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Midwest Treffen offers an entire weekend full of events and activities including:
  • A Pre-show Chicago Lakefront Cruise and get-together that is not to be missed. Enjoy the unique atmosphere of the City of Chicago Friday night (August 12th) while meeting great people!
  • A competitive autocross in a new location! Now open to all European cars with drivers willing to pit their skills in a safe, fun environment against other enthusiasts from around the Midwest
  • A laid-back Volkswagen / Audi car show with new activites!
  • Details and Registration and midwesttreffen.com coming soon!
We hope to make Midwest Treffen 15 the best yet so mark your calendars and come see us in August!

Midwest Treffen is produced yearly by the Chicago Volkswagen Organization and entirely staffed by volunteers. For more information about CVO, please visit our website at www.chicagovw.org

Updates!
We're pleased to announce that Forge Motorsport is back with us again this year and this time is the premier sponsor for the entire weekend! They'll even be helping us break in the inaugural Chicago Cruise in style with the Forge TTS and MKVI GTI project cars joining us for the cruise!

Car Show Classes
Midwest Treffen for 2011 has taken a new approach to the Car Show classes and judging based on feedback the VW/Audi community has given us. This year, we are opening up the show to more classes in order to better accommodate the broad spectrum of vehicles underneath the VAG family. Ranging from Air-cooled VW’s to the newest MkVI models, enthusiasts now have more choices for showing their pride and joy.
  1. A1 All
  2. A2 All
  3. A3 All
  4. A4 Golf
  5. A4 Jetta
  6. A5 Rabbit
  7. A5 Jetta
  8. A6 All
  9. Scirocco
  10. Corrado
  11. B Platform (Dasher, Quantum, Passat, CC)
  12. VW Aircooled
  13. VW Other (New Beetle, Eos, Eurovan, Fox, Phaeton, Routan, Tiguan, Toureg, etc)
  14. Late A4 (B6 and newer)
  15. Early A4 (B5 and older)
  16. Audi Other
Club & Enthusiast Area
Now in it's third year, the Club & Enthusiast parking is back again! Club & Enthusiast was setup for people who just want to hang out at the show without necessarily worrying about about the show. It's so you can park with your buddies regardless of what class they'd be in. Or maybe you don't feel that your car is "show worthy"? Like last year, we've also got a few trophy's to hand out again specifically for the Club/Enthusiast area, plus you still get raffle tickets and all the sponsor freebies/info that you would get if you entered the show as well.

We'll definitely have a CVO Club & Enthusiast parking area, but chime in if you plan on parking in it so we know how much room to leave ourselves.

Car Show Judging
We taken all the feedback on car Show awards and judging from the last few years and tried to make a few key changes while remaining true to the roots of Treffen. For the first time in Midwest Treffen history, Car Show judging will incorporate a judging panel in addition to the show participant ballot judging that has made Midwest Treffen popular. The panel of judges will be made up of three judges, including industry experts and fellow car enthusiasts. Judges will be voting for the 1st class winner of each class as well as Best of Show. Show participants will continue to vote for the 2nd and 3rd place winners in each class, in addition to a new-for-2011 People’s Choice Award.

Midwest Treffen Drive-In Night
Again, new for MidwestTreffen 2011! Join us for an old-fashion drive-in movie night and get-together on Saturday night after the autocross! We'll be meeting at Cascade Drive-In just before the gate opens at 7:00pm. Cascade is located at 1100 E. North Ave. West Chicago, IL 60185. They have a picnic area with charcoal grills (BYOCharcoal) or a full concession stand if you're not in the grilling mood.

Car Show Activities
While the car show on Sunday is the event that makes Midwest Treffen, it's not the only thing going on! This year at Treffen we have the following actives going on through out the day on Sunday:

Swap Meet
Continuing the growing list of "New for 2011," this year at Treffen we will be offering dedicated spaces for a swap meet during the car show on Sunday. Got a garage full of OE or aftermarket parts for cars you no longer own? Or can you open a showroom with all the spare sets of wheels you've built up? There will be 32 standard sized parking spaces available for the swap meet, at a cost of $20 per space, first come first serve, so don't dawdle on showing up on Sunday! See MidwestTreffen for details.

Cup-Crushing Competition
If you're vehicle is riding low on air suspension, the Midwest Treffen 15 Cup-Crushing Competition is a perfect way to show off. Each participant will be given two opportunities to place a paper cup under an exterior body panel (i.e. bumper or side-skirt) and lower their vehicle, crushing the paper cup as much as possible. The vehicle that crushes the cup the most will be crowned winner and will receive a very special award!

Dunk Tank
Come to Midwest Treffen 15 and enjoy giving someone a splash! Everyone loves a Dunk Tank, so for 2011 we're bringing one to the show on Sunday. Pay a nominal fee and take your turn trying to dunk one of our volunteers. Be sure to practice throwing a strike!

Bag Toss
Midwest Treffen has always been an atmosphere that goes beyond the car show, and 2011 is no different. Feel free to enjoy a game or two of Bag Toss between friends. At a cost of $1 per person for each game, friendly competition has never been more affordable!

Sidewalk Art
Being a family-oriented event, Midwest Treffen strives to offer many activities for families to enjoy throughout the day. New for 2011 is a sidewalk art area, giving show attendees the chance to decorate the sidewalk with the chalk design of their choice.
Last edited by mp3dub on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick

FahCore
CVO Forums User

Re: 2011 Midwest Treffen

Post by FahCore » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:30 pm

:thumbup: :yahoo:
2006 black GTI MKV
Mods: stickers
Check out CVO videos on http://www.youtube.com/fahcore" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dybz
CVO Member

Post by Dybz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:04 pm

going to be in indonesia during that weekend... dang. have fun all!

also, i'm upset by my post being deleted in this forum. it was completely relevant to the topic.
Last edited by Dybz on Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hybrid > Diesel

blueahr32
CVO Forums User

Post by blueahr32 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:25 pm

I will be there for the Autox, not the show.
Mark

-2008 CW R32

-BlackHawk Farms Raceway
-Gingerman Raceway
-Autobahn Country Club (North and South)

Fukuroku
CVO Member

Post by Fukuroku » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:52 pm

Looking forward to it :dance:

1.8tedMila
CVO Member

Post by 1.8tedMila » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:04 pm

where is the auto x going to be?
Logan

FahCore
CVO Forums User

Post by FahCore » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:25 pm

1.8tedMila wrote:where is the auto x going to be?
Midwest Treffen Autocross August 13, 2011 Maywood Park 8600 W North Avenue Melrose Park, IL 60160
2006 black GTI MKV
Mods: stickers
Check out CVO videos on http://www.youtube.com/fahcore" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DjBij099
CVO Forums User

Post by DjBij099 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:55 am

Autocross and Car show with my ride :thumbup: :bananadance:

Weakness
CVO Forums User

Post by Weakness » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:00 am

:D :D :pirate:
Kenny...

bronson75
CVO Forums User

Post by bronson75 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:27 pm

blueahr32 wrote:I will be there for the Autox, not the show.
x2

Why did the AX move from Oakton? I know there's been talk about another location for a few years now, just curious.
My AX schedule is almost complete!
:bananadance:
Drag racing is for fast cars, autocrossing is for fast drivers.
http://www.madisonsportscarclub.com
http://www.scirocco.org
2 cars, 9 cylinders, 36 valves

vmchurch
CVO Assistant Director

Post by vmchurch » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:45 pm

bronson75 wrote:
x2

Why did the AX move from Oakton? I know there's been talk about another location for a few years now, just curious.

AX moved from Oakton to Maywood for 2011 due to the condition of the parking lot at OCC. We felt the parking lot at Maywood, although not perfect, offers a much better surface than the one participants dealt with last year.
"I'm not a serious person, I don't get up and think 'lets have a really serious day today', I usually think 'lets have a bit of a laugh'"

- Clarkson

VWPassenger
CVO Forums User

Post by VWPassenger » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:47 pm

bronson75 wrote:
x2

It's my understanding that the condition of the Oakton lot has gotten worse and is no longer fit for autocross... if you love your car.
-=SARA=-

blueahr32
CVO Forums User

Post by blueahr32 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:06 pm

Yea back when we were still location planning I took a ride over to OCC to check on the condition of both lots. Both were horrible. Bad enough that I didnt even like driving through them at slow speeds. Would have spelled disaster for any autox style driving. :confused:
Mark

-2008 CW R32

-BlackHawk Farms Raceway
-Gingerman Raceway
-Autobahn Country Club (North and South)

Weakness
CVO Forums User

Post by Weakness » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:28 pm

VWPassenger wrote:It's my understanding that the condition of the Oakton lot has gotten worse and is no longer fit for autocross... if you love your car.
Its too bad... its was the Passat's year!
Kenny...

techromancer1
CVO Forums User

Post by techromancer1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:05 pm

i really dig the treffen event it's laid back and you can even walk around that little pond and spend some time with your love one with a picnic while there a cool auto show going i will be there for sure and i want to volunteer for this event so sign me up scotty :lol:
and every time the event is going on you can smell a nice scent of free nos lol :yahoo:

charlie getting my beloved ready :hmmm:
i love oakton treffen

RobbDizzle
CVO Forums User

Post by RobbDizzle » Sun May 08, 2011 4:36 pm

I think I'm actually going to be able to volunteer this year (even if I have no VW to speak of at that time) :thumbup:
-Robb

OE with an attitude

got desl?
CVO Director

Post by got desl? » Sun May 08, 2011 6:45 pm

Will be attending the cruise and show for the first time ever. Still up in the air about the autox though.
Dawid

2010 VW Jetta TDi Cup Edition: 6 spd Lazer Blue A Class Champ (2011); C Class Champ (2012) #902

RaBBiT MKV
CVO Forums User

Post by RaBBiT MKV » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:21 am

so is there an eta on when registration will open?

vmchurch
CVO Assistant Director

Post by vmchurch » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:50 am

RaBBiT MKV wrote:so is there an eta on when registration will open?
Working out the last few details, so we expect within a week if all goes well :thumbup:
"I'm not a serious person, I don't get up and think 'lets have a really serious day today', I usually think 'lets have a bit of a laugh'"

- Clarkson

RaBBiT MKV
CVO Forums User

Post by RaBBiT MKV » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:04 pm

vmchurch wrote:
RaBBiT MKV wrote:so is there an eta on when registration will open?
Working out the last few details, so we expect within a week if all goes well :thumbup:

Luckylindy04
CVO Forums User

Post by Luckylindy04 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:53 pm

im down like donkey kong for the show definatly, and hopefully i'll have the jetturd ready in time for the AX
2004 PG GLI - SRI - forge dv/bov - ecs short throw shift kit - fk streetlines - custom ansa/magnaflow dual exhaust - votex front bumper (FS) - cranked wastegate - unmentionables

mp3dub
CVO Secretary

Post by mp3dub » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:28 am

Updates!
-Nick

Fukuroku
CVO Member

Post by Fukuroku » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks for the updates. I freed up my whole weekend for this, it'll be my first Treffen and sounds like a fun time. I'm glad there's a CVO member & enthusiast area since my car definitely isn't show worthy.

RaBBiT MKV
CVO Forums User

Post by RaBBiT MKV » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:46 pm

So I think I heard last week that registration would be open this weekend. Just wanted to see whats up.

And yes, I am very impatient. :laugh:

vmchurch
CVO Assistant Director

Post by vmchurch » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:56 pm

RaBBiT MKV wrote:So I think I heard last week that registration would be open this weekend. Just wanted to see whats up.

And yes, I am very impatient. :laugh:

Registration for 2011 will not be online unfortunately, however we are putting the registration form on http://www.midwesttreffen.com/ for everyone to review, print, and complete prior to the morning of the show.

Only TWO WEEKS to GO!! :thumbup:

- Clarkson