It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
CV boot and Ball Joint 
CVO Member

Can I risk autocross with a torn cv joint? Plus my right front ball joint needs replacing according to my car place. They had a whole laundry list of items (air filters, transmission fluid, oil, etc) but these are the two biggest.

Blue 2004 R32
Forever VW owner.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:29 am
CVO Forums User

Suspension components take a beating during autocross. Since you have a torn boot (inner or outer?), my guess is your low on CV grease. Run it dry, it'll seize and fail. A bad ball joint can fail at any time, do you really want to be the middle of a turn and have it go on you? It's always better to drive your car home than watch it leave on a flatbed.
At my club, if I knew you had a bad boot and a bad ball joint (which would be detected during our tech inspection), I wouldn't even let you compete. Too much of a risk to damage a) your car, b) someone else, c) property, etc, etc.
I wouldn't recommend it, get the stuff fixed first.

This happened at Treffen '04, Steve Mattegel lost a CV during a run. Luckily he was able to find one locally and get it installed (and still competed), but it still sucked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9PYr4SrQ54&feature=plcp
:no:

http://www.scirocco.org
2 cars, 9 cylinders, 36 valves

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:41 am
CVO Member

Update. The left outer cv boot is torn. We have replacements so my dad will replace tomorrow. As for the ball joints they have 'play'. No idea what they mean but they My dad says mpno autocross. We can't get a part in time. Drats.

Blue 2004 R32
Forever VW owner.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:22 pm
CVO Forums User

The ball joint boot could be torn and leaking a little grease, which could be diagnosed as 'bad', but it may not be terminal, especially if there isn't any play in the joint (definitely bad at that point).
If you have the ability, get the car off the ground (the wheel with the bad ball joint) and grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and try and push and pull the wheel. If there is any play, the ball joint is probably bad (if you grab it at 3 and 9, and perform the same technique, play would indicate a bad tie-rod end).
Look at the ball joint, there may be some grease visible if the boot is torn. If there isn't any play, it's just a torn boot, I'd say you'd be okay to run, but that's just my opinion. If you trust your dad's take on the matter (and by all rights, you should), listen to him.
If you get it fixed by the 19th, come join us at Sugar River Raceway for our next autocross!!
:thumbup:

http://www.scirocco.org
2 cars, 9 cylinders, 36 valves

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:18 pm
CVO Member

My dad is going to work on my car today. We don't completely trust the report since I know the place likes getting you to fix stuff when it really does not need it yet. When they tell you need an oil change when I just got one and an alignment which I got done when got my wheels/tires I am suspicious. So he is going to inspect and tell me what he thinks. I trust him more than the shop on some things.

Blue 2004 R32
Forever VW owner.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:45 am
CVO Forums User

I see your located in Indiana. I use to live in Northwest IN. What shop are you going to?

Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:32 am
CVO Member

Our only choices are either Gurley Leep in Mishawaka or German Concepts in Osceola. I don't like either and after my dad did his own inspection, I have serious doubts on German Concepts. They only said the left CV boot was cracked, actually both were. Plus, my dad tugged and pulled on the joints, and he felt no play. So I wonder what they are thinking. Even the air intake they said must be replaced, was dirty, but not as horrible as they made it out to be. I am so glad I have a dad who knows mechanics. Sure, no fancy stuff (so if I want to ever modify my car, I will need to get help) but basics are ok. I so badly want to do something with my car and had hope to come to Treffen to find other R32's to get some ideas of stuff I could do, but maybe next autocross. I just feel ripped off because I lost a nice day at autocross from stuff that the guys at German Concepts told me, I believed them so decided not to go. Looks like I would have been ok, the CV boot being torn is not the end of the world, my car has felt fine while driving, not wobbling or anything.

Blue 2004 R32
Forever VW owner.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:12 pm
CVO Member

My dad wants to get a set of ball joints to have ready for replacement for when I do need to use them. He likes having some things ready like the cv boot her already had. What is a good brand to buy? I did some looking and there are several choices. I have a 2004 R32.

Blue 2004 R32
Forever VW owner.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]