04 R32 upgrades

Having problems with your Volkswagen or Audi? Have questions in regards to upgrades and tuning? This is the place to ask your questions.
erilot
CVO Member

04 R32 upgrades

Post by erilot » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:50 pm

So I am planning for next year and here are some of my ideas for changes to my car. I am trying to do research on the web but it is hard and not sure what are good places to buy stuff. After riding with Karl I really want to make my car a bit more fun.

Software upgrade. My local guys who love my car say it is worth the money to have this done.

Suspension. So many choices here, want to stay on the low side since not made out of money and will have to be shelling out extra money to get installed. Sure, I could be brave and try and do myself, but when you work 5 day it would be hard.

Haldex (hope spelled right). Looked around on this with not much luck. Looks to cost thousands to upgrade this so leaning towards just suspension.

These are just upgrades want to look into. Have other stuff to replace like brake pads, radio and ball joints.

Being an accountant I like budgets and am trying to see what I can do in 6 months.

Any help is appreciated. If I lived closer would bribe with a free meal but way down here in Indiana.

Thanks
Erika

Blue 2004 R32
Forever VW owner.

got desl?
CVO Director

Re: 04 R32 upgrades

Post by got desl? » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:45 am

Well first off I would start by getting the car 100% mechanically sound...no need to dump money into upgrades if the stock accessory components aren't going to withstand the new parts.

After that I'd look into what you're not happy with about the car or what you think could stand improvement and make a priority list.

A tune on a N/A car won't do much unfortunately in regards to providing more power. If you're looking to improve the car as a daily driver and an autocross car here are some of my thoughts:

1. Better tires (Direzza Star Spec, Bridgestone RE-11, Michelin Pilot Super Sport)
2. Suspension (Cup Kit or Coilover: H&R, KW, Bilstein)
3. Haldex controller (HPA Blue or Orange)
OR
3. Brakes: Pads, fluid, SS lines

If you really want more power then you can look into an intake and exhaust. Unfortunately with the R32s it costs some change to get more power out of them.

You already have a good basis with the wheels, yes they're 18s but they're RPF1s, so they're lightweight.

Those are my .02. Like I said best to get the cars kinks worked out first and then work on modifications, at which point figure out the direction you'd like to go and what your pocket book will let you do.

Best of luck!! :thumbup:
Dawid

2010 VW Jetta TDi Cup Edition: 6 spd Lazer Blue A Class Champ (2011); C Class Champ (2012) #902

Grip Driver
CVO Forums User

Post by Grip Driver » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:04 am

got desl? wrote: A tune on a N/A car won't do much unfortunately in regards to providing more power.
Correct but they do usually change the drive-ability for the better, that was definitely the case when I chipped my R.
Cheers,
Conrad
The Autobarn City VW
12 Golf TDI
10 Sportwagen TDI
90 Eunos Roadster

JR32
CVO Motorsports Director

Post by JR32 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:25 am

Tires (star specs ect)
H&R coils (cup kit is worth it too)
Alignment
Rear sway bar (huge benefit on the R32)
Flapper mod
Any intake is good for a vr
Unitronic tune (worth it on the R)
Lightweight battery (remove weight off front of car)
Haldex (expensive...not really needed. I dominated the 2010 season in my R on a cup kit, tires, and stock Haldex controller, just get the oil changed in it)

Driver mod, cheapest and most beneficial. No modification will make your car faster till you're able to use it to It's full potential.

Then smile and enjoy
--Jake--
2005 Audi S4
MK3 VR...attempt at a show car?

Grip Driver
CVO Forums User

Post by Grip Driver » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:06 am

JR32 wrote:

Driver mod, cheapest and most beneficial. No modification will make your car faster till you're able to use it to It's full potential.

:thumbup:
Cheers,
Conrad
The Autobarn City VW
12 Golf TDI
10 Sportwagen TDI
90 Eunos Roadster

DasTeknoViking
CVO Member

Post by DasTeknoViking » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:35 pm

I would recommend United Motorsports tune, its hands down the best R32 tune you can get. Set of Techtonics cams, larger high flow cars, EVOMS air intake setup with the shield. Set of DLi engine mounts, UM strut mounts with a set of H&R RSS coilovers and Neuspeed Race sway bars. TyrolSport brake stiffening kit, 2 piece rotor upgrade front with Hawk pads and Stainless Lines running ATE SuperBlue fluid or Motul RBF650. Swap out the lower rear control arms for the MadMaxx ones and for the front I would do H2Sport solid trailing arm bushing upgrade with Defcon front bushes.

I had a few MKIV R32s in the past.... had to give up my toys for a house.

erilot
CVO Member

Post by erilot » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Printed this out and going to make a plan of attack for the next 6 months!
Erika

Blue 2004 R32
Forever VW owner.

DasTeknoViking
CVO Member

Post by DasTeknoViking » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:17 pm

I say swing by Portillos Schaumburg tomorrow evening and bring some cash for a tune ;) You will notice smoother running, more power and overall better driving experience.

Sir Revalot
CVO Forums User

Post by Sir Revalot » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:12 pm

Sell the R and buy MK3 with the best motor that VW ever made, ABA 2.0 true some craplands on it and you will be the next kubica for sure!!!

Joking aside, the best way to get faster is seat time.
97 Jetta GLX
93 Passat GLX
93 Yamaha SecaII