2004 R32 stereo replacement

Having problems with your Volkswagen or Audi? Have questions in regards to upgrades and tuning? This is the place to ask your questions.
erilot
CVO Member

2004 R32 stereo replacement

Post by erilot » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:46 pm

HELP!

My dad wants to me nice and get me a new stereo for my car since my tape player died so can no longer run my IPod thru it. Hate those radio transmitters. So we wandered to ABC Warehouse to purchase. Geez. Replacing it is very expensive. The stereo is cheap. Then add $130 for the harness, mother $26 for the radio adaptor, then still need two more parts. I still need some plate and other piece that did not have, around another $40. Then we need to put in since they were not keen on installing it for us since it is so complex to change the stereo. Is this typicall that the stuff to put the radio in cost more than the stereo. Plus, is it really going to take us forever and lots of pain install it? I have a hard time believing the guy there since they were having a hard time figuring out what harness a 2004 Golf uses.

Any help? Were we ripped off by ABC?
Erika

Blue 2004 R32
Forever VW owner.

krzysiopl
CVO Forums User

Re: 2004 R32 stereo replacement

Post by krzysiopl » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:06 pm

I dont have a R32 so my word is just my opinion I guess. Replacing the radio isnt such a big deal, and I doubt that connections and crap would cost as much as the radio. On the other hand you must be buying a cheap ass radio which I wouldn't do. ..I wouldn't buy anything less then a double din gps unit...afterall its an R...its gotto have the best stuff...period...so yea.. You got royally ripped off!
***Krzys***

1992 VW GOLF GTI VRT (only 340whp)
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 8 GSR (around 340hp)
2012 VW Beetle Turbo (somewhere near 200hp)

erilot
CVO Member

Post by erilot » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:46 pm

I did not think I went too cheap in the radio, bought a Kenwood which is a which was $120 but they guy gave me a deal (you know ABC, never settle on the sticker prices, whine a bit, show them a picture of your car and they lower it). Not interested in Bluetooth or GPS so did not like anything else. Never listen to the radio so did not care about the new type of digital sound. They tried to get me to buy a sub-woofer, but I am happy with how loud my current speakers are, so why replace something not broken. Can't believe when we are done it will be nearly $300 on just a stereo. Rather take the money for other stuff for the car. Really temped to just scrapped the radio and buy a pair of speakers and power cord to just play my Ipod, or to wear earphones while driving to listen to it. Much cheaper than this. Just annoyed at VW for making it hard to put an after market radio in the car.
Erika

Blue 2004 R32
Forever VW owner.

erilot
CVO Member

Post by erilot » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:12 am

Yep, did more research and decided earplugs are the way to go. Seems like a hassle to replace the stereo, everything I have found says most installers to wrong, don't trust Best Buy (so probably not ABC). Going to return everything today and cancel the order on the harness. Waste of a stereo in the car, but the whole wiring scares me since you can mess up the whole car. My dad is a decent mechanic, we have replaced the radios in all our old VW cars, but nothing this modern or complicated. Would take to my local mechanic, but then that means at least $70 or more install charge. What a waste that I am stuck with a worthless stereo in my car since I have no plans to replace my car soon, just got it paid off. Sigh.
Erika

Blue 2004 R32
Forever VW owner.

Dubbin'0n15s
CVO Member

Post by Dubbin'0n15s » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:42 am

Harnesses on ebay go for like $20.
:newhere:

krzysiopl
CVO Forums User

Post by krzysiopl » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:21 am

I'm still very confused. ..sticker price of the car $31000+ and ummm you want to put a $120 head unit.....I drive an old...20 year old mk2 with a radio worth more then $120. Since your car is paid off, id put a nice stereo that will last a while, but thats just my 2 cents. Headphones...I dono if its not against the law to drive with your ears plugged and shit, id check rules of the road for details...as you may have problems hearing emergency vehicles. Remember, I'm not trying to be mean in any way. ..but there is a unwritten rule that you put quality stuff in quality products. This is not your beater honda civic...its a limited edition mk4 R32...think about that a little.

Last edited by krzysiopl on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
***Krzys***

got desl?
CVO Director

Post by got desl? » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:28 am

Plus I believe the stock radio on these cars are powered more so than $120 radios out there. Meaning you won't get the same sound out of your speakers as with the stock radio.

Have you looked unto simply getting a new/used OEM unit to replace it with.

As Kris mentioned you have a quality piece of engineering there I wouldn't skimp out on anything with the car. But once again on my. 02
Dawid

2010 VW Jetta TDi Cup Edition: 6 spd Lazer Blue A Class Champ (2011); C Class Champ (2012) #902

krzysiopl
CVO Forums User

Post by krzysiopl » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:28 am

Not to brake your balls, check out this link and replace the radio yourself. Get something that will pound like it was ment to pound.

http://forums.thecarlounge.com/showthread.php?5595932-DIY-MK4-Monsoon-Equipped-Aftermarket-In-Dash-Head-Unit-Installation-(R32)&p=76106128
***Krzys***

DasTeknoViking
CVO Member

Post by DasTeknoViking » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:42 pm

I had a pioneer double din with navi in mine. You don't need anything more than a harness connector for vw specific applications. If you don't listen to the radio then don't bother with an antenna adapter. I sold my R and put the stock Monsoon stereo back in. A good head unit really wakes up the stock system. Bass Link in the trunk makes it complete with nice bass. I recently undated my radio in my other two cars. GTi got a double din Kenwood with built in Garmin GPS and bluetooth and my half million mile Passat got all new speakers, sound deadening material under the hood, firewall and all the doors, amps in the trunk a 12" sub and Kenwood eXcelon hu with bluetooth and Sirius radio. I drive about 45-50k a year and I need tunes. BTW head phones are illegal. I know cause I got shit from a cop on my bmw so I hid them in my helmet with wireless solution

erilot
CVO Member

Post by erilot » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks for all the replies, was surprised at all the negative ones. Yes I love my car, she is so much fun to drive and love to spoil her, but I am not interested in Bluetooth, almost never use GPS and like to just play my music normally. Can't blast it so loud since it makes me car sick (yeah, sounds lame but I have realized when I blast my music, I get seriously nauseous, can drive like a maniac and be fine, but for me it is the sound vibrations). So I realize I might be losing some of the power of the stock system, but at least I can play my Ipod. I did see I could buy another stock system pretty cheap, but I am sure the tape player will also die. I think I will actually try and do the change myself, I am pretty good with electronics and my hands are more nimble than my dad. Who says a girl can't change a radio!

I did check e-bay and see I can get all the parts I need cheaper than what I paid. Will return it all tomorrow and just keep the stereo since they did rip me off at ABC on the install parts.

Thanks again! I won't be able to make it to the cruise this month, maybe I can get up next month. All depends on weather and work since will be doing 6 day weeks thru April 15th.
Erika

Blue 2004 R32
Forever VW owner.

DasTeknoViking
CVO Member

Post by DasTeknoViking » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:39 pm

I was rocking a tape player adapter in my R32 for 2 years PLUS, and swapping the stock radio takes about 10 seconds if you get the 4 radio removal tools.

Check Vortex for used Monsoon radios, Tape players just don't die like that. You can find em for 100 bux used all day long, you could try craigs list but I've seen greedy idiots asking 200-300 bux for them there LOL

bronson75
CVO Forums User

Post by bronson75 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:11 pm

erilot wrote:Yep, did more research and decided earplugs are the way to go.

I see people doing this all the time, and it bugs the shit out of me. With earbuds stuck your ears, you can't hear sirens or horns from the vehicles around you in case of an emergency.
I'd never wear earbuds in a car.
Drag racing is for fast cars, autocrossing is for fast drivers.
http://www.madisonsportscarclub.com
http://www.scirocco.org
2 cars, 9 cylinders, 36 valves