No one ever talks about F1 here . . .

Discussion forum for all forms of Motorsports from Auto-x, WRC, F1 etc
KO-R32
CVO Member

No one ever talks about F1 here . . .

Post by KO-R32 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:00 pm

But did you know that Speed is streaming practice 1 for some (I think all the remaining) races?

It's cool to watch w/o commentary and if you have a second PC nearby then can you put up Speed's F1Racecast.

~Karl

gasket_case
CVO Forums User

Re: No one ever talks about F1 here . . .

Post by gasket_case » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:14 pm

KO-R32 wrote:But did you know that Speed is streaming practice 1 for some (I think all the remaining) races?

It's cool to watch w/o commentary and if you have a second PC nearby then can you put up Speed's F1Racecast.

I've done that for the races before. I've always regarded watching practice live as a tease because it wasn't always guaranteed I'd be able to see the race live and something just isn't the same about watching it on the DVR :no:
A friend once asked why I never get manicures. I told her "I always break my nails when I work on my car anyway and I could save that money for a bigger turbo." Needless to say she doesn't ask me to go get my nails done anymore.

2006 Audi A3 2.0T
2003 BMW F650GSP

Sir Revalot
CVO Forums User

Post by Sir Revalot » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:57 pm

I usually watch it when it's aired over night and the reason I don't talk about is because I tend to fall asleep... :yawn:
97 Jetta GLX
93 Passat GLX
93 Yamaha SecaII

vmchurch
CVO Assistant Director

Post by vmchurch » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:55 pm

I never get to watch it because of work :(

Korean GP should be interesting though, assuming the entire place doesn't collapse around them
"I'm not a serious person, I don't get up and think 'lets have a really serious day today', I usually think 'lets have a bit of a laugh'"

- Clarkson

KO-R32
CVO Member

Post by KO-R32 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:02 am

gasket_case wrote: something just isn't the same about watching it on the DVR :no:
You're right, I think its better than live :w00t: Skipping through commercials is the only way to fly!

vmchurch wrote:I never get to watch it because of work :(
You work on Sunday's? Since when? :hmmm:
vmchurch wrote: Korean GP should be interesting though, assuming the entire place doesn't collapse around them
Indeed - unknown date

~Karl

vmchurch
CVO Assistant Director

Post by vmchurch » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:49 am

KO-R32 wrote:
vmchurch wrote:I never get to watch it because of work :(
You work on Sunday's? Since when? :hmmm:

No no, I don't get to watch the stream of practice because of work. Trust me, I'm up at 1am to watch quali and the race

Webber for the championship :yahoo:

Vettel can eat a d**k
"I'm not a serious person, I don't get up and think 'lets have a really serious day today', I usually think 'lets have a bit of a laugh'"

- Clarkson

KO-R32
CVO Member

Post by KO-R32 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:24 am

vmchurch wrote:

Webber for the championship :yahoo:
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, you opinion man . . .
vmchurch wrote:

Vettel can eat a . . . .
Really? :slap: - :shit:

~Karl

vmchurch
CVO Assistant Director

Post by vmchurch » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:30 pm

KO-R32 wrote:
vmchurch wrote:

Vettel can eat a . . . .
Really? :slap: - :shit:

Not a fan, he's done some pretty questionable things this season that have just put me off. He needs to grow up and fast, because he definitely has the skill (although finishing is another story)

Alonso can't win it either.....same reasons

- Clarkson

KO-R32
CVO Member

Post by KO-R32 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:34 pm

vmchurch wrote: Not a fan
Yeah I knew that. My reply wasn't regarding your opinion, rather the way it was it was expressed Image - Anyway . . .
vmchurch wrote: Alonso can't win it either.....same reasons
What? Your opinion is wrong :laugh: What questionable things has Alonso done? He has to grow up fast too?

~Karl

vmchurch
CVO Assistant Director

Post by vmchurch » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:22 pm

KO-R32 wrote: Your opinion is wrong
There has never been a recorded case of my opinion ever being wrong. Vincepedia says so

:ras:

- Clarkson

KO-R32
CVO Member

Post by KO-R32 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:02 pm

:geek: Image

~Karl

KO-R32
CVO Member

Post by KO-R32 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:40 pm

Yes baby, yes!

~Karl

Mr. Dillinger
CVO Communications Director

Post by Mr. Dillinger » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:44 pm

This is a older thread...i know

I have been to a F1 race a few years back in joliet...circle tracks in my opinion are boring..but it was still awesome to watch live...here is a dope video about F1 I came across

6:02 is pretty tight....enjoy! :D

F1 Race Highlights
"everything digital"
Candy White :: MKV :: .:Rabbit
APR 91 :: FK Silverlines :: Carbonio CAI :: AWE Exhaust :: 30% Tint

KO-R32
CVO Member

Post by KO-R32 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:37 am

Mr. Dillinger wrote:
I have been to a F1 race a few years back in joliet...circle tracks in my opinion are boring..
Yeah, I think you're confusing a Formula 1 with the American open wheel series :hmmm:

The link however it spot on! :thumbup: I wish that event was broadcast here.

~Karl

Dybz
CVO Member

Post by Dybz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:17 am

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12 ... ys-report/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hybrid > Diesel

blueahr32
CVO Forums User

Post by blueahr32 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:53 am

I just started watching F1 this year. Its some really amazing stuff. Random but what I find crazy is when drivers throw their steering wheels out of their car in frustration because according to Top Gear those things cost what like $60k? The price it costs to operate one of these teams is just staggering. Do these teams get funded all by sponsorships? And do companies like RedBull really profit THAT much when their sponsored cars win, like this year? I mean they have to be pumping millions and millions of dollars into these teams. Doesnt make sense to me unless they see profit from doing so. Anyone have any insight on this?
Mark

-2008 CW R32

-BlackHawk Farms Raceway
-Gingerman Raceway
-Autobahn Country Club (North and South)

Dybz
CVO Member

Post by Dybz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:27 am

blueahr32 wrote:I just started watching F1 this year. Its some really amazing stuff. Random but what I find crazy is when drivers throw their steering wheels out of their car in frustration because according to Top Gear those things cost what like $60k? The price it costs to operate one of these teams is just staggering. Do these teams get funded all by sponsorships? And do companies like RedBull really profit THAT much when their sponsored cars win, like this year? I mean they have to be pumping millions and millions of dollars into these teams. Doesnt make sense to me unless they see profit from doing so. Anyone have any insight on this?
i think sponsorships just offset part of the cost. majority of it still comes from the auto-manufacturers as they see it as an R&D and marketing opportunity.

as for the wheel, found this:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/05/s ... ing-wheel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hybrid > Diesel

blueahr32
CVO Forums User

Post by blueahr32 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:26 pm

Dybz wrote:
blueahr32 wrote:I just started watching F1 this year. Its some really amazing stuff. Random but what I find crazy is when drivers throw their steering wheels out of their car in frustration because according to Top Gear those things cost what like $60k? The price it costs to operate one of these teams is just staggering. Do these teams get funded all by sponsorships? And do companies like RedBull really profit THAT much when their sponsored cars win, like this year? I mean they have to be pumping millions and millions of dollars into these teams. Doesnt make sense to me unless they see profit from doing so. Anyone have any insight on this?
i think sponsorships just offset part of the cost. majority of it still comes from the auto-manufacturers as they see it as an R&D and marketing opportunity.

as for the wheel, found this:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/05/s ... ing-wheel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yea I can see the marketing aspect of it. Not so much the R&D because I can't see a lot transfering over from an F1 car to a production road car, then again I'm not an engineer either.

Thats a really cool video about the steering wheel though. I had no idea they had THAT much control over car characteristics. Now the price tag makes sense.
Mark

-2008 CW R32

-BlackHawk Farms Raceway
-Gingerman Raceway

Mr. Dillinger
CVO Communications Director

Post by Mr. Dillinger » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:00 pm

blueahr32 wrote:
Thats a really cool video about the steering wheel though. I had no idea they had THAT much control over car characteristics. Now the price tag makes sense.
As stated above...never knew it was that advanced...press a button to get a drink of water....awesome stuff!
"everything digital"
Candy White :: MKV :: .:Rabbit
APR 91 :: FK Silverlines :: Carbonio CAI :: AWE Exhaust :: 30% Tint

vmchurch
CVO Assistant Director

Post by vmchurch » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:45 pm

For teams like RBR, who actually fields two F1 teams (both fully sponsored by Red Bull $$), the exposure the company gets is well worth it. Red Bull get to plaster their name on one of the biggest sports (everywhere except here in the US) and the exposure Red Bull gets is huge. Then you have teams like Ferrari and McLaren who are largely in the sport for no other reason than wanting to compete at the highest level of motorsport, which F1 is. Ferrari is largely funded by Marlboro still, even though its technically illegal, Santander and Abu Dahbi banks. McLaren gets a lot of money from Vodaphone and Mercedes. Both teams put some F1 tech into their road cars (McLaren just starting to make road cars in mass), but they're mainly there for the sport and nothing more.

Teams like Mercedes, Renault, and what used to be BMW, Honda, and Toyota are in a different spot. Not too much F1 tech translates to the roads for companies like Honda and BMW, even less so for Toyota and Renault. The car companies pour billions into their teams, but don't see a lot of return apart from the exposure the racing gives the brand. This and the HUGE cost of F1 is one of the big reasons most car companies are leaving the sport and going after something more real-world applicable like DTM or ALMS.

Some of the newer teams like Lotus, Force India, Virgin, and HRT don't have the backing from huge sponsors and therefore don't really have the $$$ that the other teams do, but thats what makes it interesting at times. This year there were at least three teams that clearly were at a huge disadvantage, but that is exactly where RBR was 5 years ago and now they took the championship this year.

With the new engine rules coming next year and brand-new tires, should be an interesting season. Hurry up and get here March :)

- Clarkson

KO-R32
CVO Member

Post by KO-R32 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:09 pm

vmchurch wrote: Ferrari is largely funded by Marlboro still, even though its technically illegal
I think they're allowed to sponsor the team, they just can't be seen as doing it :fun:

Tim Garner (old CVO Assistant Director) works for Phillip Morris and use to joke about how much they pay Ferrari not to display their logo on the cars.
Mr. Dillinger wrote: press a button to get a drink of water....awesome stuff!
Just reroute your WSW fluid plumbing, fill the reservoir with your favorite beverage and you too could have push-button refreshments.

~Karl

Dybz
CVO Member

Post by Dybz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:33 am

KO-R32 wrote: Just reroute your WSW fluid plumbing, fill the reservoir with your favorite beverage and you too could have push-button refreshments.
tempting...
Hybrid > Diesel

vmchurch
CVO Assistant Director

Post by vmchurch » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:45 am

KO-R32 wrote:
vmchurch wrote: Ferrari is largely funded by Marlboro still, even though its technically illegal
I think they're allowed to sponsor the team, they just can't be seen as doing it :fun:

Tim Garner (old CVO Assistant Director) works for Phillip Morris and use to joke about how much they pay Ferrari not to display their logo on the cars.

Just adds to how much I think its both hilarious and BS sometimes how much Bernie and the FIA let Ferrari slide on any rule (team orders anyone)

Hoping Jensen and Lewis can slap them around a bit next season

- Clarkson

blueahr32
CVO Forums User

Post by blueahr32 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 pm

vmchurch wrote:

For teams like RBR, who actually fields two F1 teams (both fully sponsored by Red Bull $$), the exposure the company gets is well worth it. Red Bull get to plaster their name on one of the biggest sports (everywhere except here in the US) and the exposure Red Bull gets is huge. Then you have teams like Ferrari and McLaren who are largely in the sport for no other reason than wanting to compete at the highest level of motorsport, which F1 is. Ferrari is largely funded by Marlboro still, even though its technically illegal, Santander and Abu Dahbi banks. McLaren gets a lot of money from Vodaphone and Mercedes. Both teams put some F1 tech into their road cars (McLaren just starting to make road cars in mass), but they're mainly there for the sport and nothing more.

Teams like Mercedes, Renault, and what used to be BMW, Honda, and Toyota are in a different spot. Not too much F1 tech translates to the roads for companies like Honda and BMW, even less so for Toyota and Renault. The car companies pour billions into their teams, but don't see a lot of return apart from the exposure the racing gives the brand. This and the HUGE cost of F1 is one of the big reasons most car companies are leaving the sport and going after something more real-world applicable like DTM or ALMS.

Some of the newer teams like Lotus, Force India, Virgin, and HRT don't have the backing from huge sponsors and therefore don't really have the $$$ that the other teams do, but thats what makes it interesting at times. This year there were at least three teams that clearly were at a huge disadvantage, but that is exactly where RBR was 5 years ago and now they took the championship this year.

With the new engine rules coming next year and brand-new tires, should be an interesting season. Hurry up and get here March :)
Gotchya. All good points.
Mark

-2008 CW R32

-BlackHawk Farms Raceway
-Gingerman Raceway

KO-R32
CVO Member

Post by KO-R32 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:45 pm

F1 in HD on Speed for 2011 - :geek: - Story

~Karl