It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
No one ever talks about F1 here . . . 
CVO Forums User

vmchurch wrote:
blueahr32 wrote:
I just started watching F1 this year. Its some really amazing stuff. Random but what I find crazy is when drivers throw their steering wheels out of their car in frustration because according to Top Gear those things cost what like $60k? The price it costs to operate one of these teams is just staggering. Do these teams get funded all by sponsorships? And do companies like RedBull really profit THAT much when their sponsored cars win, like this year? I mean they have to be pumping millions and millions of dollars into these teams. Doesnt make sense to me unless they see profit from doing so. Anyone have any insight on this?

For teams like RBR, who actually fields two F1 teams (both fully sponsored by Red Bull $$), the exposure the company gets is well worth it. Red Bull get to plaster their name on one of the biggest sports (everywhere except here in the US) and the exposure Red Bull gets is huge. Then you have teams like Ferrari and McLaren who are largely in the sport for no other reason than wanting to compete at the highest level of motorsport, which F1 is. Ferrari is largely funded by Marlboro still, even though its technically illegal, Santander and Abu Dahbi banks. McLaren gets a lot of money from Vodaphone and Mercedes. Both teams put some F1 tech into their road cars (McLaren just starting to make road cars in mass), but they're mainly there for the sport and nothing more.

Teams like Mercedes, Renault, and what used to be BMW, Honda, and Toyota are in a different spot. Not too much F1 tech translates to the roads for companies like Honda and BMW, even less so for Toyota and Renault. The car companies pour billions into their teams, but don't see a lot of return apart from the exposure the racing gives the brand. This and the HUGE cost of F1 is one of the big reasons most car companies are leaving the sport and going after something more real-world applicable like DTM or ALMS.

Some of the newer teams like Lotus, Force India, Virgin, and HRT don't have the backing from huge sponsors and therefore don't really have the $$$ that the other teams do, but thats what makes it interesting at times. This year there were at least three teams that clearly were at a huge disadvantage, but that is exactly where RBR was 5 years ago and now they took the championship this year.

With the new engine rules coming next year and brand-new tires, should be an interesting season. Hurry up and get here March :)

Gotchya. All good points.

-2008 CW R32

-BlackHawk Farms Raceway
-Gingerman Raceway
-Autobahn Country Club (North and South)

Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:10 pm
CVO Member

F1 in HD on Speed for 2011 - :geek: - Story

~Karl

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
CVO Assistant Director

KO-R32 wrote:

F1 in HD on Speed for 2011 - :geek: - Story

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

FINALLY

- Clarkson

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:07 pm
CVO Forums User

^ that I like as well.

-2008 CW R32

-BlackHawk Farms Raceway
-Gingerman Raceway
-Autobahn Country Club (North and South)

Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:10 am
CVO Member

I hope your response time is better than this at the track this summer... :crazy: :confused:

Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:44 am
CVO Member

Kubica badly injured in Italian rally crash - http://en.espnf1.com/renault/motorsport/story/40082.html

~Karl

Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
CVO Assistant Director

KO-R32 wrote:
Kubica badly injured in Italian rally crash - http://en.espnf1.com/renault/motorsport/story/40082.html

WOW

Looks like Bobby Kubizer might lose the function of his right hand. Tragic if that happens, he's one of the best on the grid

Get well soon Kub

- Clarkson

Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:30 pm
CVO Member

New Rules: http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/

Damn!

~Karl

Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
CVO Member

I guess this isn't really a big surprise: Bahrain Grand Prix called off

~Karl

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
CVO Member

KO-R32 wrote:
I guess this isn't really a big surprise: Bahrain Grand Prix called off

meh... what's a little civil unrest other than extra "cones" to dodge on the track?

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm
CVO Assistant Director

Its a good call, Bahrain is boring anyway. I'd rather keep the teams safe and start in Austraila like the good 'ol days

- Clarkson

Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:11 pm
CVO Forums User

I'm really interested in watching F1 - curious how you guys watch it? Is it broadcast on any stations in the US? If not, like when I used to watch cycling they streamed most of it online.

www.JustinGorson.com

Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
CVO Assistant Director

Randum wrote:
I'm really interested in watching F1 - curious how you guys watch it? Is it broadcast on any stations in the US? If not, like when I used to watch cycling they streamed most of it online.

Speed and FOX worked a deal where Speed gets the majority of the season coverage while FOX covers about five races in the middle of the season. Get speed channel asap if you don't have it already, definitely worth it if you want to watch F1. Speed is FINALLY broadcasting F1 in HD this year too :)

- Clarkson

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:14 pm
CVO Forums User

Quote:
Speed is FINALLY broadcasting F1 in HD this year too :)

:thumbup: :bananadance: :thumbup:

N75R valve
Carbino cold air intake
05GTI1.8T -Live and well
96GTIVR6 - Dead and greatly missed
99.5JETTA TDI - Dead and remebered
ASE Certified Technician
GTI

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
CVO Member

Looks like Bernie Ecclestone has been smoking something good (again): http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/42110.html :hmmm:

~Karl

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
CVO Assistant Director

KO-R32 wrote:
Looks like Bernie Ecclestone has been smoking something good (again): http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/42110.html

What a moron. Here's an idea Bernie: stop going to tracks like Abu Dhabi and Bahrain and start returning to historic tracks that the teams want to race. When this guy retires and/or dies it will be a good day for F1

- Clarkson

Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:29 pm
CVO Member

vmchurch wrote:
Get well soon Kub

Cool get well video ~ http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2011/3/11788.html

~Karl

Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
CVO Member

Redbull F1 Showrun Austin 2011 ~ http://youtu.be/5FM7rlXXqdw
skip the first :60 to cut to the chase (literally)

Speed Fantasy update, laugh: http://gpedition.speedfantasyracing.com/league.aspx?page=league&id=10451

~Karl

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
CVO Assistant Director

KO-R32 wrote:
Redbull F1 Showrun Austin 2011 ~ http://youtu.be/5FM7rlXXqdw
skip the first :60 to cut to the chase (literally)

Speed Fantasy update, laugh: http://gpedition.speedfantasyracing.com/league.aspx?page=league&id=10451

True to my name "McLaren or Nothing", I'm sticking with nothing....however, I still maintain we've got the best driver line-up

RBR need to have a mediocre car next year for me to start to respect Vettel's talent :ras:

- Clarkson

Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:54 pm
CVO Member

Live streaming Practice 3 from Korea @ 9:00pm tonight ~ http://formula-one.speedtv.com/ ~ no talk, just the sound!

~Karl

Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
CVO Assistant Director

I've waited a LONG season for this, but.....

FINALLY that little turd Vettel didn't finish and ya know what, felt kinda good. :D

Interlagos is always a good race, but I feel good about McLaren for next season. How great is it that the next season is only four months away, and in the meantime we have the NFL :yahoo:

- Clarkson

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:42 pm
CVO Forums User

I know this post its kind old.. but, love F1 so much
and I might be the official photographer form F1 in 2013.. just waiting for some signed papers coming thru my mail... :yahoo:

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:02 am
Profile WWW
CVO Member

Congrats !

Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:06 pm
CVO Director

hemidesign wrote:
I know this post its kind old.. but, love F1 so much
and I might be the official photographer form F1 in 2013.. just waiting for some signed papers coming thru my mail... :yahoo:

Does that include you traveling?? Or strictly for the North America Races?? Either way congrats!!

2010 VW Jetta TDi Cup Edition: 6 spd Lazer Blue A Class Champ (2011); C Class Champ (2012) #902

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2