Groupon for track time in Ferrari, Gallardo, SLS AMG, etc.

Discussion forum for all forms of Motorsports from Auto-x, WRC, F1 etc
Fukuroku
CVO Member

Groupon for track time in Ferrari, Gallardo, SLS AMG, etc.

Post by Fukuroku » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:45 am

Linky:
http://www.groupon.com/deals/imagine-lifestyles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can choose one of the following to drive 3 laps (7.35 miles) around Autobahn in Joliet:
  • Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
    Lamborghini Gallardo
    Bentley GT
    Aston Martin V12 Vanquish
    Ferrari California or Ferrari F430, based on availability
It's not very cheap at $159 since you only get 3 laps, but there's not many opportunities out there to drive a $200,000 exotic car on the track without paying hundreds of dollars. Apparently there's no restriction on how hard you can push the cars. I just bought mine, hopefully it will be worth it. :thumbup:

What do you think I should choose? The SLS, Gallardo, or Ferrari?

Randum
CVO Forums User

Re: Groupon for track time in Ferrari, Gallardo, SLS AMG, et

Post by Randum » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:47 pm

I read all the fine print - I'm in. I've never driven one of those before, so even just driving it for 7 miles is fun. I have $20 in groupon credit so not too terribly expensive. I can't believe the normal price is $500!?

I'm down for the 430 for sure.
MK6 GTI
'13 Q5

www.JustinGorson.com

Fukuroku
CVO Member

Post by Fukuroku » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:18 pm

Randum wrote:I read all the fine print - I'm in. I've never driven one of those before, so even just driving it for 7 miles is fun. I have $20 in groupon credit so not too terribly expensive. I can't believe the normal price is $500!?

I'm down for the 430 for sure.
I had a $10 and $5 off coupon/credit for a while but I never used them and they expired a couple of weeks ago :sad:

Right now I'm leaning towards the SLS AMG, I think it's the 563 hp 480 lb-ft of torque, the gullwing doors, and how amazing the AMG V8's sound. I would like to drive a Ferrari, but it says it might be either the F430 or the California. I'd rather drive the F430 since it's more of a mid engined sports car while the California is a front engined grand touring car.

If you haven't already, take a look at the Q&A section, there's a great deal more info there:
http://www.groupon.com/deals/imagine-li ... discussion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One good thing that they mentioned is that if it get's rained out, they can reschedule to a different time slot or find a time that is "mutually convenient."

Gunkata
CVO Forums User

Post by Gunkata » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:45 am

oh wow, this looks pretty awesome... if the F430 is available, it would be hard to choose between that and the Lambo for me. Really considering buying this...

Gunkata
CVO Forums User

Post by Gunkata » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:53 am

just signed up. :thumbup:

Dybz
CVO Member

Post by Dybz » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:26 am

did you guys read the limitations on the dates? i saw this yesterday, but i'm skipping out on it. with the amount of people doing it on only 4 days that it's going to be allowed on, it's insane! willing to bet way too many people will be unable to make reservations to get in the cars.
Hybrid > Diesel

Fukuroku
CVO Member

Post by Fukuroku » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:58 am

Dybz wrote:did you guys read the limitations on the dates? i saw this yesterday, but i'm skipping out on it. with the amount of people doing it on only 4 days that it's going to be allowed on, it's insane! willing to bet way too many people will be unable to make reservations to get in the cars.
I'm available during any time on the 4 dates, so I'm flexible. They said they have spots for 1500 people max so I'm sure they have an idea about how they're going to fit in all those people. Since 3 laps is really only going to be about 5 minutes of driving, they can fit a lot of people into each two hour time slot, assuming there are people willing to drive the less popular cars. There's some driver instruction but they could teach that to a large number of people at once. Regardless, I'm calling to reserve my time as early as possible tomorrow. I'm worried about how they're going to handle the call volume though.

Dybz
CVO Member

Post by Dybz » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:57 am

bah! i bought it too lol. going with my friend from work. we should all meet up. i'm going to try to get the gallardo or 430.
Hybrid > Diesel

Dybz
CVO Member

Post by Dybz » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:35 am

been reading the Q&A section... pace car FTL.
Hybrid > Diesel

Fukuroku
CVO Member

Post by Fukuroku » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:54 am

Dybz wrote:been reading the Q&A section... pace car FTL.
Yeah, it sounds kind of iffy with the pace car. The guy says "I promise you won't be cruising around at 40mph and will always be allowed to test the turns, hit top acceleration on the straight aways etc. You should have no problem reaching 80-100mph in areas."

The acceleration and the twisties are what are most fun to me anyways. I'm not too concerned about going 100+ mph in the straights since there are other ways to go high speeds... The only thing I'm worried about is getting stuck behind a slow driver (which is a VERY strong possibility since most people have probably never been on a track before), but that could happen with or without a pace car.

Dybz
CVO Member

Post by Dybz » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:05 pm

my plan is to drop off a bit from previous car so you can push it a bit. hopefully if you show your co-driver that you can drive halfway well he'll let you open it up a bit.
Hybrid > Diesel

Dybz
CVO Member

Post by Dybz » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:53 am

anyone else call just before 8 and been waiting for almost an hour now?
Hybrid > Diesel

Fukuroku
CVO Member

Post by Fukuroku » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:06 am

Dybz wrote:anyone else call just before 8 and been waiting for almost an hour now?
Damn, I've been busy at work and haven't had the chance to call yet. I was afraid this was going to happen. I don't know how they expected to handle the the call volume of hundreds of people calling in at once. I think they should've set up something online where people could reserve their own spots and others can see which ones are already taken.

Dybz
CVO Member

Post by Dybz » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:13 am

Fukuroku wrote:
Dybz wrote:anyone else call just before 8 and been waiting for almost an hour now?
Damn, I've been busy at work and haven't had the chance to call yet. I was afraid this was going to happen. I don't know how they expected to handle the the call volume of hundreds of people calling in at once. I think they should've set up something online where people could reserve their own spots and others can see which ones are already taken.
well the bastards answered, but my phone was a few feet away on speaker since reception sucks in my apartment. before i could get to it (<2 seconds) they just hung up right away...

but yeah, i was thinking that on online reservation system would have been great. they're doing it in 2 hr timeslots anyways, so you just sign up for your slot. pretty stupid to expect your company that handles maybe 5 reservations a day to all of a sudden do all 1500 or whatever they sold.
Hybrid > Diesel

Fukuroku
CVO Member

Post by Fukuroku » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:49 am

That sucks that they hung up. I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm at work all day but I don't get cell phone reception so I can't use my cell phone. I'm also going to be working in different areas today so I can't just sit at my desk phone and wait. I'm thinking about using Google Chat since you can call phones with it and using a headset since I can just bring my laptop around with me.

Dybz
CVO Member

Post by Dybz » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:33 am

booked it around 9:50. wait was ~45 minutes.
Hybrid > Diesel

Fukuroku
CVO Member

Post by Fukuroku » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:53 am

Dybz wrote:booked it around 9:50. wait was ~45 minutes.
Cool, I'm gonna call them with Gchat on my laptop this afternoon after I finish lunch and a meeting. I should have a couple of hours available to wait on hold while I get some work done.

What time and car did you end up picking?

moliver
CVO Forums User

Post by moliver » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:02 am

I got through all that was left was an VW GTI type R or something like that!

Dybz
CVO Member

Post by Dybz » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:12 am

moliver wrote:I got through all that was left was an VW GTI type R or something like that!
:slap:

i'm going with my buddy on november 5th 10am-12. i went for the gallardo, he's a ferrari fan so he went for the f430, but if they don't have the 430 he might switch to the gallardo too instead of getting stuck with the california.
Hybrid > Diesel

Fukuroku
CVO Member

Post by Fukuroku » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:36 pm

Some stuff came up at work so I couldn't call yesterday. I called first thing this morning and waited less than 5 minutes. The Gallardo was only available Nov 13, I didn't want to wait until the last day so I chose the Ferrari for 10am Nov 6th. The woman told me they're 95% sure it's the F430 which is good since I'm not a California fan. She said they might even bring both so people can choose, but she didn't sound that sure.

Randum
CVO Forums User

Post by Randum » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:22 pm

I'm down for Sat Nov 12 at 8am, the F430, only a few slots they had left. The Gallardo is already all taken.
MK6 GTI
'13 Q5

www.JustinGorson.com

Fukuroku
CVO Member

Post by Fukuroku » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:00 pm

Apparently, they made a video for the track day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4HxB5Z3_-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is probably the exact Gallardo that'll be there since it has IL plates and it's the same color they described in the Q&A:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnHcXzyUSb0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randum
CVO Forums User

Post by Randum » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:49 am

The prices for daily rental is completely insane, over 2k for ONE day of driving!?!
http://www.imaginelifestyles.com/chicago-illinois" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I understand its a supercar but anything more than a few hundred seems pretty outrageous! I know people will drive them harder/wear and tear but man...rent the car 100 times, some of these will pay for themselves...
MK6 GTI
'13 Q5

www.JustinGorson.com

Fukuroku
CVO Member

Post by Fukuroku » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:30 am

Randum wrote:The prices for daily rental is completely insane, over 2k for ONE day of driving!?!
http://www.imaginelifestyles.com/chicago-illinois" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I understand its a supercar but anything more than a few hundred seems pretty outrageous! I know people will drive them harder/wear and tear but man...rent the car 100 times, some of these will pay for themselves...
I think they are catering more towards wealthy people (or at least posers who have some money) rather than the lower/middle class who will probably just rent one of these once or twice in their life for a special occasion. Rich people aren't going to be as stingy. My guess is that most of their business comes from the wealthy, celebrities, execs, etc. who are visiting or staying slightly longer term and want a luxury or exotic to drive around in and/or need a chauffeur. Or rich people who want to play around on the weekend. I mean, if I had a lot more money, i'd rather blow a couple thousand and drive one of these around for a couple of days rather than spend $200k for the car then pay for maintenance, storage, insurance, etc. Plus I could rent a F430 one weekend, Murcielago the next, and so on so I'm not stuck with one car. Also, I'm sure they get a lot of business from TV show and movie productions. Finally, having the prices higher will just make them seem more prestigious since a lot of really wealthy people will spend money on overpriced, but prestigious items just because they can.

I'm not saying I like their high prices, I'm just saying that they are probably doing just fine and have no need to lower them. Anyways, it must be nice to be rich :rolleyes:

Dybz
CVO Member

Post by Dybz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:23 pm

this one is cheaper than imaginelifestyle. $1300 for a gallardo or $1500 for a f430.

http://www.chicagoexoticrentals.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hybrid > Diesel