help with tire selection for the mk2 1.8t

Discussion forum for all forms of Motorsports from Auto-x, WRC, F1 etc
1.8tedMila
CVO Member

help with tire selection for the mk2 1.8t

Post by 1.8tedMila » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:44 pm

whats up guys,

looking for a good auto x tire in 205/50/R15 I dont plan on running them all summer, (just at auto x)

anybody use these tires?

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Kumho Ecsta XS
Toyo Proxes R1R
Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08

any other good tires that fit my RIMZZZ :rolleyes:
Logan

JR32
CVO Motorsports Director

Re: help with tire selection for the mk2 1.8t

Post by JR32 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:59 pm

the Khumo XS is what my bro got for the VRT, in that size I think he paid like 440 shipped...
--Jake--
2005 Audi S4
MK3 VR...attempt at a show car?

1.8tedMila
CVO Member

Post by 1.8tedMila » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:39 pm

how does he like them so far?
Logan

SLiMeX
CVO Forums User

Post by SLiMeX » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:41 pm

I love my Direzza's!
Chris

MKV Rabbit
MKIII Cabrio

1.8tedMila
CVO Member

Post by 1.8tedMila » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:03 pm

a lot of people seem to have the Z1s

check this out tho
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articl ... es-part-2/
Logan

1.8tedMila
CVO Member

Post by 1.8tedMila » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Logan

g60_corrado_91
CVO Member

Post by g60_corrado_91 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:45 pm

The Star Specs seem to be the most popular because of their ability to warm up almost immediately, have good wear characteristics for an extreme performance tire (I've seen 15-18k out of a set with autox and track events on them plus DD'ing), and doing very well in the rain. The downside is road noise and harshness, but that goes with damn near any tire in this class.

The RE-11's are also very good, but unless you find a set used as I did, from what I've read, they're not worth the $200+ extra over Star Specs. Kumho XS's are probably the ultimate dry weather extreme performance tire. They're basically R comps, but everyone I've talked to say they're downright useless/scary in any form of rain. The Hankook RS-3's are also an R-comp like tire. I had two sets of RS-2's that when pushed harder and got hotter, gripped even harder. They never got greasy like the Falken 612's or whatever did. If the RS-3's are an improvement over the RS-2's, which I know they are, then they're good too.

Since you don't plan on DD'ing these tires, I'd probably lean towards the XS's myself and also check to see if Hankook makes the RS-3's in that size. I rode in Mark's SRT-4 yesterday (the white ACR) and he also has 245/40/17 XS's with KW V1's. They actually didn't ride too badly, but I think a lot of the credit is due to the KW's as well. I haven't ridden in the VRT with the new tires.

Any way you go, you're not really going wrong. The only disadvantage I could see with you going with XS's even being that you're just using them for autox is if the event is rainy. Then it'll basically be a free for all. But then again, everyone else will be off their times too, so you might as well go for the stickiest dry tire.
2006 CW GTI

Unitronic Stg 2+ K04

JR32
CVO Motorsports Director

Post by JR32 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:54 pm

1.8tedMila wrote:how does he like them so far?
Im not sure how he feels about them but i like them they have good steering response and seem pretty competitive for the price...except he couldn't warm them up last Sunday
--Jake--
2005 Audi S4
MK3 VR...attempt at a show car?

bronson75
CVO Forums User

Post by bronson75 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:27 pm

I absolutely LOVE my Star Specs. I stepped up from very worn Azenis (195/60 14) to Z1s (195/50 15). I bought them for street tires, but I've been running them for AXs lately as well, just because they work so so damn well. I read all the stories about harshness, road noise, etc, but I love them, for AX duty, as well as daily driving. As a matter of fact, at an autocross last year, our first runs were in a hard rain, and for the first 2 runs of the day, I had FTOD (which I am NEVER close to, ever). Absolutely great in the rain, I really can't say enough about them. I know they have a tendency to get out of balance easily (not sure why), and I've heard stories about them chunking when they get pushed, but I haven't seen any evidence of either.
When I got mine, Dunlop/Bridgestone was running a $80 rebate, I got mine for just over $500 installed at NTB. They got them from Tire Rack, but I paid the Tire Rack price, NTB didn't mark up Tire Racks price.
Drag racing is for fast cars, autocrossing is for fast drivers.
http://www.madisonsportscarclub.com
http://www.scirocco.org
2 cars, 9 cylinders, 36 valves

got desl?
CVO Director

Post by got desl? » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:54 am

R-comps are great for traction and grip when they're up to temp...for auto-x it's hard to keep these tires at temp. I'm learning that the hard way with my Toyo R888, they heat up quickly and man do they grip but the first two runs of the session are kinda pointless since they're used to heat them up.

The Direzza like Matt said are the best tire for the money in regards to auto-x usage. The Kumho XS also seems like a good one as well. The RS-3 I am not to familiar with, but I read over like 50+ reviews on TireRack and they were extremely mixed, from really great in the heat...to white knuckle scary in the rain and cold.

So I guess it comes down to how deep your pockets are and if they will be used for DD or strictly auto-x.
Dawid

2010 VW Jetta TDi Cup Edition: 6 spd Lazer Blue A Class Champ (2011); C Class Champ (2012) #902

1.8tedMila
CVO Member

Post by 1.8tedMila » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:59 am

the rs3 dont fit :no: any way after what i read last night so far im leaning toward the XS. i want to get my hands on this other set of wheels before i buy tires. Thanks guys for all the info
Logan

got desl?
CVO Director

Post by got desl? » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:04 am

Well good luck with the wheels and tires, hopefully next time you're out running with us you'll have a new set of rubber! :thumbup:
Dawid

2010 VW Jetta TDi Cup Edition: 6 spd Lazer Blue A Class Champ (2011); C Class Champ (2012) #902

krzysiopl
CVO Forums User

Post by krzysiopl » Wed May 30, 2012 12:24 pm

1.8tedMila wrote:how does he like them so far?
Those are good tires for the price, but like he said I couldn't warm them up that one auto x. Overall grip on the street is pretty damn good...they smoke crazy style, lol. For the money you can go wrong, so try them...after all summer is here, I don't think we're gonna have another cold autox this year :)
***Krzys***

1992 VW GOLF GTI VRT (only 340whp)
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 8 GSR (around 340hp)
2012 VW Beetle Turbo (somewhere near 200hp)

valladar
CVO Forums User

Post by valladar » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:35 am

valladar
CVO Forums User

Post by valladar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:07 am

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comkinozones.rulaserlens.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.rustungun.rulargeheart.ru
lasercalibration.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.ru
mailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.runameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.ru
neatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ru
onesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.rupapercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ru
qualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.ru
readingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.rurectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.ru
salestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.ru
semifinishmachining.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.ru
tenementbuilding.ruultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.rujournallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.ru
kaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.ru
kleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.rukondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.ru
lacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.ru
landingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.rulanguagelaboratory.rufactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.ru
galvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ru
haemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ruhangonpart.ru
haphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ru
heatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.ru