Autocrosses with other clubs

The place to post information on upcoming VW and Audi events or local get-togethers of CVO members.
VRUM VR6
CVO Member

Autocrosses with other clubs

Post by VRUM VR6 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:09 pm

Here are a couple of autocrosses this weekend that I'm going to try to attend if anyone else is interested...Sat. June 14 http://inr-scca.org in Crown Point, INSun. June 15 http://www.windycitymiataclub.com/autox/ at College of Lake County (CLC) in Grayslake, ILAll info is available via the links above.

Autox 2
CVO Forums User

Re: Autocrosses with other clubs (VRUM VR6)

Post by Autox 2 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:25 am

John, are you going to CR-SCCA on the 21st and TSSCC on the 22nd? Both are at Rt 66.

VRUM VR6
CVO Member

Re: Autocrosses with other clubs (toneesvr6)

Post by VRUM VR6 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:35 am

Note, the CR-SCCA and Tri-State schedule has changed for that weekend. You can confirm it by visiting their specific web sites - since they are more up to date than the Planet-Torque.com site (which is currently wrong).Brian Damalerio pointed that out to me.This is my schedule right now for that weekend:June 21 Windy City Miata Club Melrose Park, ILJune 22 Chicago Region SCCA Joliet, ILJune ?? Tri-State Sports Car Council Joliet, IL

DiscoPotato
CVO Member

Post by DiscoPotato » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:20 pm

John, I'm thinking about heading to the miata one. I'll let you know ifI do plan on heading there.

VRUM VR6
CVO Member

Re: Autocrosses with other clubs (DiscoPotato)

Post by VRUM VR6 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:57 pm

Cool, I have a bunch of work to do this week (coilovers, control arms, and redo the alignment) so hopefully I'll get it done in time.

Autox 2
CVO Forums User

Post by Autox 2 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:29 pm

VRUM VR6 wrote: Cool, I have a bunch of work to do this week (coilovers, control arms, and redo the alignment) so hopefully I'll get it done in time.
Sounds like you won't be my nemisis after this weekend. LOL

r0nd3L
CVO Forums User

Post by r0nd3L » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:57 pm

VRUM VR6 wrote: Cool, I have a bunch of work to do this week (coilovers, control arms, and redo the alignment) so hopefully I'll get it done in time.
You doing work yourself? I'd like to stop by if you don't mind. Coilovers make me happy

VRUM VR6
CVO Member

Re: Autocrosses with other clubs (toneesvr6)

Post by VRUM VR6 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:48 pm

toneesvr6 wrote: Sounds like you won't be my nemisis after this weekend. LOL
Yes, I will finally be 'worthy' of a D class designation - once I am done with this stuff... I planned way ahead for this. The coilovers that I wanted just took so long to come off of backorder from Germany. I will be taking the rear sway bar off too, it will be overkill for sure considering how it handles right now.

VRUM VR6
CVO Member

Re: Autocrosses with other clubs (r0nd3L)

Post by VRUM VR6 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:09 pm

r0nd3L wrote: You doing work yourself? I'd like to stop by if you don't mind. Coilovers make me happy
I wouldn't say I'm doing it myself. My buddy Joe de la Cruz is a great mechanic and has access to a friend's shop. I get the parts and procedures and we work together there - usually nights and weekends - that way no one disturbs anyone else. The lift really comes in handy, big time.Tom O'Cull told me that the rear alignment is completely adjustable from the factory and Ricardo with the red Porsche Cayman S is the one that taught me to do the alignment. It is very simple with two people. The adjustable control arms may be a pain though.It looks now like we'll be working Friday night at least. If you're still interested I can IM you my number and you can call me then if you like. The shop is off of 25th & North Ave. in Melrose Park.

norbstr
CVO Forums User

Post by norbstr » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:51 pm

This just in guys, the Miata Club has lost its privileges to the CLC lot so all their events there are now cancelled. Anyone know of any autocrosses this Sunday besides that one?

Dubmekanik
CVO Forums User

Post by Dubmekanik » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:14 pm

VRUM VR6 wrote: I wouldn't say I'm doing it myself. My buddy Joe de la Cruz is a great mechanic and has access to a friend's shop. I get the parts and procedures and we work together there - usually nights and weekends - that way no one disturbs anyone else. The lift really comes in handy, big time.
I'm trying to do the same with a surgeon friend of my buddies' mother-in-law's brother's fiance'. I find out how to do the procedures online, then borrow the scalpels, gauze, stitches, butcher knives, etc. from another surgeon..Then we go to the hospital where my friend works and use the operating room after hours. It works out real good for me other than having to learn everything for the first time when I'll probably never do it again. Plus simple stuff takes 6-7 times longer than it should because we have no idea what we're doing. But the great thing is I can always call my local clinic for some free tech support!!!!!

VRUM VR6
CVO Member

Re: (norbstr)

Post by VRUM VR6 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:23 pm

norbstr wrote:This just in guys, the Miata Club has lost its privileges to the CLC lot so all their events there are now cancelled. Anyone know of any autocrosses this Sunday besides that one?
For sure? That sucks!

VRUM VR6
CVO Member

Re: Autocrosses with other clubs (Dubmekanik)

Post by VRUM VR6 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:28 pm

Dubmekanik wrote:I'm trying to do the same with a surgeon friend of my buddies' mother-in-law's brother's fiance'. I find out how to do the procedures online, then borrow the scalpels, gauze, stitches, butcher knives, etc. from another surgeon..Then we go to the hospital where my friend works and use the operating room after hours. It works out real good for me other than having to learn everything for the first time when I'll probably never do it again. Plus simple stuff takes 6-7 times longer than it should because we have no idea what we're doing. But the great thing is I can always call my local clinic for some free tech support!!!!!
Oh man, I need to fall asleep for once, not laugh the night away! "We've" been doing this for the last two seasons now... so far so good. Knock on something or other.

norbstr
CVO Forums User

Post by norbstr » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:31 pm

Thats what the WCMC coordinator wrote on their forum so until further notice its a no go. Ive looked around the local area autocross groups and nothing going on Sunday, gonna try to get off work saturday and make it out to the indiana one

VRUM VR6
CVO Member

Re: (norbstr)

Post by VRUM VR6 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:02 am

norbstr wrote:Thats what the WCMC coordinator wrote on their forum so until further notice its a no go. Ive looked around the local area autocross groups and nothing going on Sunday, gonna try to get off work saturday and make it out to the indiana one
Thanks for the info. If my car is ready, I'll go to Indiana on Saturday too. I've decided to do just the coilovers for now and reset the alignment again - been there done that. I am going to skip doing the control arms for a while. I'm not ready for that many adjustments yet.

r0nd3L
CVO Forums User

Re: (VRUM VR6)

Post by r0nd3L » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:01 am

VRUM VR6 wrote: Thanks for the info. If my car is ready, I'll go to Indiana on Saturday too. I've decided to do just the coilovers for now and reset the alignment again - been there done that. I am going to skip doing the control arms for a while. I'm not ready for that many adjustments yet.
Btw, which coilovers did you get?

VRUM VR6
CVO Member

Re: (r0nd3L)

Post by VRUM VR6 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:16 am

r0nd3L wrote:Btw, which coilovers did you get?
http://StartupRacing.com

r0nd3L
CVO Forums User

Post by r0nd3L » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:30 am

VRUM VR6 wrote: http://StartupRacing.com
Those looks awesome! Which type did you get?I'm thinking of KW V3s myself since I can get slightly used set for really cheap. It's the only coilover available for GTO too....

Grip Driver
CVO Forums User

Post by Grip Driver » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:02 pm

John, you may want to check this, no more CLC auto-x's for some reasonhttp://www.windycitymiataclub.com/autox/

schmuck
CVO Forums User

Post by schmuck » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:49 pm

r0nd3L wrote:Those looks awesome! Which type did you get?I'm thinking of KW V3s myself since I can get slightly used set for really cheap. It's the only coilover available for GTO too....
kw v3's ftw. got them on the R32 love them, have bilstein/h&R's on my gti and they are worn out, but they are much rougher. Did a "coke/pepsi" challenge at gingerman on the mk3 w/ 2 similar gti's (mine and Brian Hellwegs w/ v3's) and I noticed a big difference.BTW - way off topic, but curious how Brian is doin, don't hear from him anymore.

The Malones
CVO Forums User

Post by The Malones » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:12 pm

we are taking the miata out there saturday.

Un4gtble
CVO Forums User

Post by Un4gtble » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:13 am

Autocross / SoloIIChicago Region SCCA events:Jun 21 (Sat) Event 4 Route 66 RacewayJun 28-29 * National Tour Grissom Aeroplex, PeruJul 5-6 * ProSolo Toledo Express Airport, ToledoJul 19-20 * National Tour Miller Park, MilwaukeeAug 30 Test & Tune Route 66 RacewayAug 31 Event 5 Route 66 RacewaySep 12-13 * ProSolo Finale Heartland Park, TopekaSep 16-19 * Tire Rack Solo Nationals Heartland Park, TopekaOct 12 Event 6 Route 66 RacewayOct 15 General Membership Meeting TBAOct 18 Event 7 Route 66 RacewayOct 19 Event 8 Route 66 RacewayWindy City Miata Club Autocross Schedule***ALL Races CANCELED***6/15 at College of Lake County6/21 at Melrose Park7/13 at College of Lake County7/27 at College of Lake County8/9 at Melrose Park8/24 at College of Lake County9/13 at Melrose Park10/5 at College of Lake CountyRoad Racing / Open Track DaysJune 17, 2008 - Autobahn Country Club (South Track) [Joliet, IL.] - Hosted by AMS, Open to all. $200. To register, contact Frank B @ AMS directly at (847) 709-0530 Extension 2017.July 19-20, 2008 - Gingerman Raceway [South Haven, MI] - WMHM8, sponsored by MWIR. Grassroots Honda Event that is Open to all. $250 (2 day event). Register at http://www.wmhm.orgAugust 18, 2008 - Autobahn Country Club (Both Tracks) [Joliet, IL.] - Hosted by MVP Track Time, Open to all. $245. Register at http://www.mvptracktime.comSeptember 13-14, 2008 - Blackhawk Farms Raceway [Beloit, WI] - Hosted by MVP Track Time, Open to all. $310 (2 day event). Register at http://www.mvptracktime.comSeptember 14, 2008 - Autobahn Country Club (South Track) [Joliet, IL.] - Hosted by AMS, Open to all. $225. To register, contact Frank B @ AMS directly at (847) 709-0530 Extension 2017.

Un4gtble
CVO Forums User

Re: Autocrosses with other clubs (Un4gtble)

Post by Un4gtble » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:22 pm

Hi all,I contact the Pres of Miata's AutoX club. Here is what he stated are the reasons behind the canceled races.There are two things going on. First is they are repaving the lot 5 thatwe where on. The second is there are some sort of politics going on thatwe have no control over. We are trying to get permission to continue usingtheir lots, but not having much success at the current time. There's the scoop so we don't have to speculate.-Mandi

VRUM VR6
CVO Member

Post by VRUM VR6 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:30 am

r0nd3L wrote:Those looks awesome! Which type did you get?
I got the http://StartupRacing.com GTs (by Vogtland Germany). The coilovers are on and the rear anti-sway bar back to stock. The ride is so much tighter and smoother! I will be resetting the height and replacing a crank position sensor tonight. I'll need to test & tune the setup during my next few events.Anyone else doing these events this weekend?:Sat. June 21 Windy City Miata Club Melrose Park, IL (aka Maywood)Sun. June 22 Chicago Region SCCA Joliet, IL Modified by VRUM VR6 at 12:20 PM 6/20/2008

VWPassenger
CVO Forums User

Post by VWPassenger » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:19 am

VRUM VR6 wrote: Anyone else doing these events this weekend?:Sat. June 21 Windy City Miata Club Melrose Park, IL (aka Maywood)
It says 3 posts up that this is cancelled...