It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
MKIII Cabrio 
CVO Forums User

Yesterday, I took the Cabrio out of storage and cleaned the interior best I could. The previous owner left it messy and it was nice to freshen it up a bit. (Storage is outside, so the seeds from the tree next to it were falling on it and making small yellow stains - not to worry! I washed the car afterwards and they all washed away.)

I also installed the new passenger mirror (old one was cracked) and test-fit the boot cover I picked up on Craigslist for $35!

PS. Any idea why the passenger seat won't fold forward? I lift the lever on the side of the seat and it doesn't budge...

MKV Rabbit
MKIII Cabrio

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:55 pm
CVO Motorsports Director

SLiMeX wrote:
PS. Any idea why the passenger seat won't fold forward? I lift the lever on the side of the seat and it doesn't budge...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... ars-15x6.5

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:47 pm
CVO Forums User

If that moron hadn't painted them golden panda bears, I might try to lowball them.
The fact that he's even asking $800 is crazy.

MKV Rabbit
MKIII Cabrio

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:18 am
CVO Forums User

The Cabrio has officially come out of hibernation/storage.

First modifications: removed from plate bracket, removed all goofy city and university stickers. Also installed my home-made Crown Royal XR red velvet shift boot!
(Please excuse the goofy MOMO pedals, they are being replaced with OEM ones next weekend...)

MKV Rabbit
MKIII Cabrio

Tue May 01, 2012 8:58 pm
CVO Forums User

Nice ride! Darn, if it was a 5 lug....vr...lol, I would have nice wide 17” wheels for ya, 235/35/17! Change those nasty headlamps, lol

Get racelands ultimos...and if they are gonna be too stiff for ya I'll trade u mine and pay you 50 bux difference. Mine are pretty much new....and I should have gotten ultimos...I just didn't think straight at the time.

1992 VW GOLF GTI VRT (only 340whp)
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 8 GSR (around 340hp)
2012 VW Beetle Turbo (somewhere near 200hp)

Tue May 01, 2012 9:10 pm
CVO Forums User

The car is looking better and better dude!
I agree with Krzysio, you needs to lowar this :thumbup:

Sat May 12, 2012 9:26 am
CVO Forums User

Sir Revalot wrote:
The car is looking better and better dude!
I agree with Krzysio, you needs to lowar this :thumbup:

I think the above photo makes it look much better than how it does in real life, because of the rain making it look shiny. :cool:
I don't think the previous owner ever washed or waxed the car, ever. :thumbsdown:

I'm still waiting on Uncle Sam to get me my refund check, so I can buy coils.
Everyone will see it tomorrow at the Auto-X!

MKV Rabbit
MKIII Cabrio

Sat May 12, 2012 7:18 pm

Looks good so far. I own an mk3 jetta...recently went to my local junkyard and saw a red cabrio and was picking at it a bit haha i'll include a picture. Don't know if you have been to victory auto wreckers but there are always mk3s...there were 3 jettas besides the cabrio all 2.0s. Picked up some glx tail lights the other day and all of my missing bumper inserts. Don't know if you need any parts as your exterior looks all intact but i thought id share!

Sat May 12, 2012 10:07 pm
CVO Forums User

That's funny...when I had a mk3..and everytime I went there they didn't have shit....now that I have a mk2....I went out there and AGAIN they didn't have shit...its just my luck!

Sun May 13, 2012 5:08 am

krzysiopl wrote:
That's funny...when I had a mk3..and everytime I went there they didn't have shit....now that I have a mk2....I went out there and AGAIN they didn't have shit...its just my luck!

Ah that sucks, they take a picture of every car they receive and post it on their website so browsing that once a week doesn't hurt! They also have a car list on there but I found more jettas then what they said they had. I mentioned that to them but I don't think they care haha.

Sun May 13, 2012 6:07 pm
CVO Forums User

Bought some MK3 brake ducts off the Vortex.
Spray painted them and installed them yesterday.

They look okay, I plan on re-spraying the entire front end later this year, so I'll re-do them then if need be.

I'm doing pads/rotors/shoes/drums/brakes this Thursday.
I also plan on doing cap/plugs/wires/fuel filter if I can then as well, since I am getting horrible gas mileage (~20mpg). I hope this helps!

MKV Rabbit
MKIII Cabrio

Tue May 15, 2012 12:57 pm
CVO Forums User

Not that anyone cares, but yesterday I decided to tackle replacing/overhauling the brakes and I wish it went better than it did.

The front left brake caliper bracket was extremely difficult to remove and that also explained why the car would brake so hard on the left side, to the point that the steering wheel would turn if left un-held. The lower brake caliper slider pin was to blame: it was seized and in the process of taking it out, I cracked the pin 1/2 way into the bracket. i found a replacement caliper bracket at a local NAPA warehouse but no one had the pins. In retrospect, I probably should have just purchased the entire caliper kit instead of the individual parts. Now I'm waiting for a package from German Auto Parts to get the slider pins and the slider pin boots.

Additionally, the rear drums hadn't been touched in quite some time. Taking them off was a huge hassle, and the brake shoes were basically coming off with the drum, it was like they were seized inside, which may have accounted for my horrible gas mileage, since the car was essentially dragging its hind legs.

I hope to have the Cabrio back in business by Monday!

MKV Rabbit
MKIII Cabrio

Fri May 18, 2012 6:48 pm
CVO Forums User

Damn dude, that sucks. I hate when shit is just rusted all over the place. Well I hope you can get her going soon!

Fri May 18, 2012 11:11 pm
CVO Member

Nothing beats removing the tripple square bolts from the rear caliper brackets on a B3/4 and A3/Rado. Torch is the only way out if the previous "mechanic" didnt use anti seize

Sat May 19, 2012 6:09 am
CVO Forums User

Today I got up at the crack of dawn to try and fix the brake/caliper problems. :fun:

Aforementioned, one of the front left caliber bracket silder pins/bolts was seized inside the caliper bracket and broke off when I tried to remove it:

Here is the new caliper bracket with new caliper bracket slider pins/bolts:

Here is a comparison of what was left of the old brake pad, compared to the new one I installed: :wacko:

The previous owner decided to spray-paint the calipers red to match the car, so I re-sprayed them silver/iron to make them look less rediculous.
Here's the final outcome: :cool:

After all the brakework was done, I decided to tackle the spark plugs/rotor/distributor cap/wires project.
The Bentley manual I have suggests to remove the upper intake manifold, so that's exactly what I did, and I think I found some interesting surprises.

First, the spark plug gap is supposed to be 0.024", according to the Bentley manual. Each of the four plugs removed had a small amount of rust on them and also were at a 0.045" gap! This may have contributed to my horrible gas mileage and also the underperformance of the engine.

Second, I found a bunch of oil on the underside/inside of the upper intake manifold. It was in the throttle body and also on the intake piping(?). I'm not sure where this is coming from, though. I'm sure it's not the best for the engine, however.

There was even oil soaking in the air filter: :hmmm:

Lastly, when I took off the upper intake manifold, I found this copper wire just hanging out, not connected to anything. It goes and connects to the back of the exhaust manifold. I'm thinking that the previous owner may have disconnected it for emissions purposes? I'm not really sure.

It connected to this at some point (whatever this is, it's upsidedown in the photo because the upper intake manifold was flipped upsidedown):

Any ideas of what this might be??

MKV Rabbit
MKIII Cabrio

Sun May 20, 2012 8:39 pm
CVO Forums User

Wow, dude... You are really getting down with this and I see that you had same issues with brakes that I had on my 2.0.
Keep up the good work and keep us posted :thumbup:

P.S
I dont know that that is in the last photo..... Jake, D?? Any ideas??

Tue May 22, 2012 4:58 pm
CVO Forums User

Sir Revalot wrote:
I dont know that that is in the last photo..... Jake, D?? Any ideas??
I found out that the last picture is of an EGR valve, which connects to the copper line that goes to the exhaust manifold. Having it disconnected has a negative effect on MPG's and performance.

I also found out that my PCV valve (big hunk of plastic connected to the air intake) is to blame for the oil in the intake issue, and replacing that part sure should solve the problem.

Overall, I'm thinking I should see a nice improvement. :)

MKV Rabbit
MKIII Cabrio

Tue May 22, 2012 10:47 pm
CVO Forums User

So I've been wanting to install coil overs onto the Cabrio ever since I got it.
I was set on buying H&R's (since that's what I have on my Rabbit - except that it's a H&R Super Sport Cup Kit on the Rabbit), which have an excellent ride quality and the brand is backed with a fantastic warranty. However, this Cabrio is essentially a fun project car for me. So do I really want to spend the ~$1,200 for H&R's on a car I paid $350 for? I'm not sure.

I know many of you will hate me for saying this, but I kind of want to install Racelands for a couple of reasons. I understand that "you get what you pay for". I see a lot of badmouthing on the Vortex and other forums about how bad the suspension is from people who haven't ever driven a car with them installed. I also would not be tracking or autocrossing the car. It may make its way out to a few shows over the summer, but any new suspension has got to be an improvement over the original 102k suspension, right? On the highway the Cabrio bounces like a boat in rough seas.

Am I crazy? Talk to me, CVO.

MKV Rabbit
MKIII Cabrio

Last edited by SLiMeX on Wed May 23, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 23, 2012 5:10 pm
CVO Forums User

Dude....H&R sounds really good an all...but Raceland is the bang for ur buck for sure. I've been riding on those and I got no problem with them at all. I autox...you know that, and I went to gingerman with racelands on my mk3 that I had...and on that track this car felt like it was glued to the pavement! I dono why ppl bash on them so bad...I think that its a great set of coils for little amount of money....so get them.

I'm all about stiff suspension...to me...those coils are perfectly balanced for street and autox...I even wish they were stiffer sometimes!

Wed May 23, 2012 9:32 pm
CVO Secretary

I think you have all the reasons to buy the racelands already nicely laid out. They're not going to be $2500 KW V3's, but for $400 for a $350 car, you can't beat that deal with a stick.

Thu May 24, 2012 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
CVO Forums User

I said it before and will say it again: RACELANDS all day!!!

Mon May 28, 2012 10:18 am
CVO Forums User

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely leaning towards the Racelands for a budgeted build.

Who is the resident wheel guru?

MKV Rabbit
MKIII Cabrio

Tue May 29, 2012 3:25 pm
CVO Forums User

Quick update: I finished the brakes and re-adjusted the parking brake cable. The car stops so much nicer now. I replaced the PCV valve and re-connected the disconnected EGR valve when I re-assembled the upper intake manifold. I think I mentioned that I replaced the spark plugs, rotor, distributor cap, wires, air filter, and also replaced all intake manifold gaskets while I had it off.

The reason I asked about wheels is because I bought a set... 16x8". :crockett:

Tomorrow I am replacing the right front axle and the oil pan, it was smacked by a pothole by the previous owner and is scraped up.

MKV Rabbit
MKIII Cabrio

Thu May 31, 2012 9:08 pm
CVO Director

SLiMeX wrote:
Quick update: I finished the brakes and re-adjusted the parking brake cable. The car stops so much nicer now. I replaced the PCV valve and re-connected the disconnected EGR valve when I re-assembled the upper intake manifold. I think I mentioned that I replaced the spark plugs, rotor, distributor cap, wires, air filter, and also replaced all intake manifold gaskets while I had it off.

The reason I asked about wheels is because I bought a set... 16x8". :crockett:

Tomorrow I am replacing the right front axle and the oil pan, it was smacked by a pothole by the previous owner and is scraped up.

WOW!! Good work on this car so far!! Looking forward to seeing the wheels and moar low!

2010 VW Jetta TDi Cup Edition: 6 spd Lazer Blue A Class Champ (2011); C Class Champ (2012) #902

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:45 am
CVO Forums User

Wheels arrived today. The previous owner hadn't detailed them in what looked and felt like 186,346 years, so I immediately washed them.
(I felt it was fitting for the Cabrio project.)

Here's a teaser:

The first person that can correctly guess what wheels they are and what car they're originally from, I'll buy them White Castle or Home Run Inn for lunch during 3rd Autocross this Sunday at Maywood Park: http://forums.chicagovw.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13400.

MKV Rabbit
MKIII Cabrio

Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next