It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
I have a MKIV vr6...now what... 
CVO Forums User

Hi everyone, This is my first time posting here and im excited because i know you all can help me!

I dont know much about the VR6 as far as power mods and I do not have a terrific cash flow to spend, but I would like to put a litttle more power to the ground. It's a 2002, 24v... that much i do know haha.
Does anyone have any advice/Tips/Tricks they can offer up? The car has 125k miles on it so not looking to do anything crazy... even though my dream would be to turbo it... :D

Thanks all!

Doug

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:35 pm
CVO Forums User

I'm kind in the same situation as you are, my first advise to you is that you have to do a lot of research, browse the net for performance upgrades and also visit VW VORTEX forums, there is a lot of good stuff there. I can help you a little bit from what I've learned this past weeks. there is other guys here that know a lot about everithing and I'm sure they could share a lot of tips and more.

Before any upgrade I would make sure your car is healthy, no oil leaks, no coolant leaks, good working clutch and all that stuff, then when you are sure everything is OK you can go for those upgrades. The VR6 is a strong and powerfull engine but at the same thime is very sensitive.

you can upgrade the ECU, then the air intake, and also the exhaust system, you don't have to follow this order. this are a few of the most popular and basic upgrades you can start with.

My question to you is, do you want to keep your mosd into the N/A range for now?

1998 MK III GLX

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:58 pm
CVO Forums User

Nice! We can share this thread then haha. Yeah def NA.
I had the clutch replace with a stock one over winter. No oil or coolant leaks. Fixed those too. I do need to do a leak down test. Sometimes It feels a tad weak. Maybe loosing compression. I've been too frightened of the results to do that test so far lol. Is there anything you can do with the pulleys with these engines??

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:18 pm
CVO Forums User

there is a slight difference in between our engines, mine is a 2.8l 12v VR6 AAA on al MK 3 Jetta GLX.

But yeah I can help ypu out as much as I can and at the same time learn mor about the Vr6's regardles the generation gap in between them, I beleive this is the reason we join this groups and forums, "to share and learn"...

there is mote to come, now I've to get ready for work, later....

1998 MK III GLX

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:27 pm
CVO Member

EVO MS air intake, United Motorsports Tune, some new larger downpipes and high flow cat. Pretty much all you can do to the BDF motor besides turbo. Throw some light weight wheels on it and it will be just fine.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:16 pm
CVO Forums User

Nice! Thanks!

Does anyone know if the motor mount spacers would prevent or accentuate the cv axels rubbing the sway bar when lowering the car?

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:34 pm
CVO Forums User

Just put new wheels on. 5mm spacers up front. I want more poke. Anyone want my 5mm BFI spacers? Or to trade for some 8 or 10mm? Sorry I know this isn't the classified section but for some reason my phone wont let me create a thread and I just don't want to wait till I'm off work haha

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:12 pm
CVO Forums User

The car isn't super special but it makes me happy to see it comin along ... slowly.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:22 pm
CVO Member

do you work @ Discount off Fort Hill and Aurora Ave ??

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:25 pm
CVO Forums User

No, my good friend does and I live real close by though.

I work at the Batavia location. Bit further of a drive for me.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:01 pm
CVO Forums User

Alright so does anyone have any insight on the JOM coilovers vs the ultimos?

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:57 pm
CVO Communications Director

I swear I have seen you/car...do you ever drive on Kirk Rd in Aurora/Batavia?

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:01 pm
CVO Forums User

I'm not on Kirk verry often but it does happen. I live in aurora and work in Batavia so chances are its me.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:28 pm
CVO Forums User

selling some wheels in the classifieds. check them out!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13303

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:13 pm
CVO Forums User

Dfreshh wrote:

RACELANDS !! All day......

I have mine on the 2.slow for two years now and did one full season of autoX with CVO in 2010 and three events with another club in 2011.
The car is still good to go for this season.

I will put racelands on my MKIII VR GLX as well, for the money it cant be beat.

My buddy got FKs for his MK4 around the same time i got the racelands and his suspension is already failing, he didnt even autoX as much.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:35 pm
CVO Forums User

Thanks for all the input!

I have my H&R coilovers on order! Super stoked to get moar lower. New spacers front and rear are coming. 8mm front 5mm rear. Slightly concerned my 225/45-17's won't tuck the way I want, but need new tires anyway so I can address that if it needs to be.

Today I discovered the joy of junkyards. It's awesome to learn how to disassemble without fear of breakin your own car. Picked up a handful of interior parts that I need to replace and picked up some others just Incase. Sucks that the parts I really needed were already picked over. Maybe the next yard will treat me with some luck.

Does anyone know if the door hinges from a 2003 4 door Jetta will fit and function on a 2002 2 door gti?

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:06 pm
CVO Forums User

Sir Revalot wrote:
Dfreshh wrote:

RACELANDS !! All day......

I agree with Greg, Racelands are awesome. I had those on my VR and now have them on my mk2 vrt as well. If ur gonna autox then get ultimos...a little stiffer will prevent you from rubbing...lol...I should have gotten those myself! You can't really get anything better for $399 either way....(new that is)

1992 VW GOLF GTI VRT (only 340whp)
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 8 GSR (around 340hp)
2012 VW Beetle Turbo (somewhere near 200hp)

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:34 pm
CVO Member

FYI you can get KW V1s for around 680-720 on Amazon.

Racelands are good thou, I was going to get the Ultimos for my Passat but I feel as if the "same as MK2/3" spring rate setup is all wrong. After all B4 is much heavier and requires higher rate springs over a A2/A3 chassis. I feel that not enough research goes into them... IMHO, YMMV, .02

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:27 am
CVO Forums User

DasTeknoViking wrote:
FYI you can get KW V1s for around 680-720 on Amazon.

Racelands are good thou, I was going to get the Ultimos for my Passat but I feel as if the "same as MK2/3" spring rate setup is all wrong. After all B4 is much heavier and requires higher rate springs over a A2/A3 chassis. I feel that not enough research goes into them... IMHO, YMMV, .02

The guys that you met at the autoX with B4 has racelands, you should have taken his car for a ride.
I think that it rides very good.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]