It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Votex rear spoiler on 99 B5 Passat (with pictures) 
CVO Member

I picked up a genuine Votex trunk lid spoiler for the B5 Passat back when they were being blown out at discount prices and finally decided to install it. This arrived without the install kit so proper fasteners were sourced at the hardware store.

The spoiler came unpainted so I shot it with "Krylon Fusion for Plastic" spray paint (satin black). The car is Colorado Red with black and gray trim.

The instructions come with a paper template to help you drill your holes in the correct spots. The suggested location placed the spoiler directly at the back edge of the trunk lid with no overhang. To me, it didn't look quite right in that spot. Copying an idea I saw on the internet from someone else's instillation, I opted to move it back about 3/4 of an inch so that the pedestals were at the edge of the trunk lid and the wing overhung just a bit. This looks more aggressive.

The back window 3rd brake light gets disconnected and the LED 3rd light on the spoiler gets tapped into tail light brake circuit.

It's sort of hard to capture a curvy 3-D object in a 2-D picture, but this is roughly what it looks like.

Sun May 13, 2012 10:53 pm
CVO Motorsports Director

Looks good, fits the car really well

Sun May 13, 2012 11:42 pm
CVO Member

...and another addition.

I got a trunk lid from Europe. It came in a color I've never seen on a Passat over here. For the time being it's been sprayed with the same satin black as the spoiler. The entire car will eventually need some small bodywork and a repaint.

German style plate. EMD for Emden Germany where the car was manufactured. 1999 model year. B5 chassis.

Keeping it legal. :sad:

Found a reflector triangle on e-bay to fit into the holder.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]