It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
DIY "No Holes" Front Plate Holder 
CVO Forums User

sooo i was bored today and tried something different as i have just ordered my new euro front plate i wanted the license somewhere else so that i dont get a ticket for no front plate. there are toonns of diy on how to do this but this is how i did it hope u enjoy :thumbup:

List of Materials needed

1x OEM Tow hook
1x license plate
1x 6x6in peice of sheet metal
4x 1/2 in machine screws
2x 1in machine screws
6x small flat washer (big enough to cover holes in license plate)
6x split washers
6x nuts for machine screws

List of tools

Tin snips(or something that can cut sheet metal)
screw driver
nut driver or appropriate size wrench
drill
1/8 inch drill bit

ok after you have rounded up all those materials heres what u want to do first:

1.) place your license plate on the sheet metal and mark where all four holes are

2.) draw out an X pattern on the sheet metal leaving 1/2inch of material on either side of the hole marks.

3.) once you have that done measure 6 inches out from the center of the X on either side and make a mark these will be your mounting flaps.

4.) draw in a inch wide flap on either side of the x 6 inches long.

After you have traced out all the stuff you need start cutting it out with the tin snips make sure that you dont over cut or the integrity of the sheet metal will diminish

after you have cut out the x pattern with the 2 flaps you need to drill the spots where u marked the holes eariler.

when your done drilling the four holes for the license plate take the two tabs and bend them up and in.

using your tow hook as a guide slide it inbetween the 2 flaps and mark 2 spots where you want to put screws in to hold it in place.

after you have drilled the last 2 holes start putting your licesne plate holder together using the machine screws you bought the 1/2 in screws on the license plate and the 1 inch screws on the tow hook.

after your all set and done your holder should look something like this

here it is mounted on my car.

now go have urself a nice cold one and admire what you have just done :bananadance: :snap:

N75R valve
Carbino cold air intake
05GTI1.8T -Live and well
96GTIVR6 - Dead and greatly missed
99.5JETTA TDI - Dead and remebered
ASE Certified Technician
GTI

Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
CVO Member

Nice write up, but I'm glad I don't need to do it since my car is registered in IN so no front plate needed. Unfortunately the previous owner of my car already put 4 holes in the bumper so I'm stuck with a plate holder for now. Plus it's mounted slightly off center and rubbed a strip of paint off the bumper. :wall:

Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:27 pm
CVO Member

Fukuroku wrote:
Nice write up

x2

Fukuroku wrote:
I'm glad I don't need to do it since my car is registered in IN so no front plate needed. Unfortunately the previous owner of my car already put 4 holes in the bumper so I'm stuck with a plate holder for now. Plus it's mounted slightly off center and rubbed a strip of paint off the bumper. :wall:

Well you're making the most of it:

~Karl

Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
CVO Member

Fukuroku wrote:
Nice write up, but I'm glad I don't need to do it since my car is registered in IN so no front plate needed. Unfortunately the previous owner of my car already put 4 holes in the bumper so I'm stuck with a plate holder for now. Plus it's mounted slightly off center and rubbed a strip of paint off the bumper. :wall:

don't come to chicago and leave your car out when meter maids are going by. they don't care where you're registered, you're getting a ticket.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:54 pm
CVO Member

KO-R32 wrote:
Well you're making the most of it:

Not really, it looks kinda crappy now since one of the screw covers is missing as you can see in the pic and a few days ago I noticed the red part of the "I" fell off so the "GT" is red and the "I" is chrome. It's a cheapo ebay plate, so that's what I get. I think Euro plates are pretty cool but I prefer the cleaner look of not having any plate. My car is a work in progress, if things go as planned, by fall I should have the car looking and driving the way I want (hopefully before Treffen).

Dybz wrote:
don't come to chicago and leave your car out when meter maids are going by. they don't care where you're registered, you're getting a ticket.

Meter maids are idiots. My buddy got lucky on a parking ticket one time because the meter maid put it as an IL plate instead of IN so he never paid it and never got any notices for it.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:32 pm
CVO Forums User

thanks to all who commented tomarrow im taking off my headlights and writing up a joey mod DIY stay tuned :w00t: :smart: :snap:

N75R valve
Carbino cold air intake
05GTI1.8T -Live and well
96GTIVR6 - Dead and greatly missed
99.5JETTA TDI - Dead and remebered
ASE Certified Technician
GTI

Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:08 am
Profile WWW
CVO Forums User

Dybz wrote:
Fukuroku wrote:

b*** to fight it also. They arent friendly on tint or tinted windshields either.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:32 pm
CVO Forums User

Looks good from the front....
Can we see the side shot????

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]