It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Car dies overnight, good battery 
CVO Forums User

Not sure if this is the right spot to post, but something I found very little online but was able to figure out. It might not apply to VWs in the same manner but something worth noting.

My 99 Pontiac Grand Am - driving fine, nothing irregular, overnight the battery is drained. Completely dead. Tested the battery its good, but got a warranty replacement just in case, so now I know the battery is good. Two nights I charged it to full, let it sit - and over the night it would die - no lights on, no after market stereo draining etc.

When my alternator failed before I had a lot of irregular lighting issues etc when driving, nothing is the case this time.

Turns out on the alternator is a Voltage resister which can drain your battery dry. On newer cars this is built into the alternator, older ones its an actual piece you can replace easily.

I got a warranty replacement on the alternator, now the problem is fixed (as of this morning letting it sit overnight). Very important note, AUTOZONE did the test and the voltage regulator PASSED - I am assuming their passed threshold is lower than what it should to detect what I had going on? Anyone have insight on this? No joke, the autozone employee....either he could not hear me talk, or refused to answer any question or comment I had, it was the single most frustrating experience of my life. Luckily, a more knowledgable employee was working there to help with the replacement.

Just thought I'd throw it out there if anyone runs into this and needs to rule out some possibilities.

On a side note my belt tensiner in that car, which I replaced myself about six years ago - I had some engine work done since then, and it appears the block was changed/moved literally a quarter inch because my tensiner tool no longer fits as it did...and I literally pulled it back with hand...not fun

www.JustinGorson.com

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:10 am
Profile YIM WWW
CVO Forums User

I think that most alternators show 14.4 or so for proper operation.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:32 pm
Profile YIM
CVO Forums User

Update: Alternator swap fixed the issue despite autozone's "passing" on the alternator. Whatever their threshold is for testing must be lower.....also car starts really, really fast now too compared to before.

www.JustinGorson.com

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:23 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]