DIY Mk1 weighted shift rod
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:32 pm
I did this in March this year, before autocross season started. I bit the bullet and got an ABD short shifter for my Scirocco 16v, and I wanted a weighted shift rod to go with it, but I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on it. I went to the hardware store, got about a pound of washers (5/16", IIRC) and went to town. I had 2 neoprene washers on hand (they friction-fit to the rod very nicely, I didn't want the metal washers knocking about on the rod), as well as some only-sticks-to-itself silicone sealing tape. I installed one of the neoprene washers on the shift rod and loaded it up with washers, installed a neoprene washer on the other end, and wrapped the whole works in 2 layers of tape. The rod started out at 4 oz, it ended up at 1.6 lbs. when it was done, and it cost me around $3 all in.