Good floor jack/stands

Having problems with your Volkswagen or Audi? Have questions in regards to upgrades and tuning? This is the place to ask your questions.
Randum
CVO Forums User

Good floor jack/stands

Post by Randum » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:27 pm

Just looking for any recommendations for some nice jack stands/jack for use in my garage. Nothing too crazy, but something that will be reliable, built well etc. (say if I want to install a rear sway)

I see autozone has a few options, but rather ask around before buying blindly...
MK6 GTI
'13 Q5

www.JustinGorson.com

got desl?
CVO Director

Re: Good floor jack/stands

Post by got desl? » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:50 pm

If you're installing a rear sway bar I recommend getting ramps. You'll need to have the rear suspension compressed to easily install the end links on the rear sway.

If you need to borrow a pair let me know.
Dawid

2010 VW Jetta TDi Cup Edition: 6 spd Lazer Blue A Class Champ (2011); C Class Champ (2012) #902

Dubbin'0n15s
CVO Member

Post by Dubbin'0n15s » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:23 am

got desl? wrote:If you're installing a rear sway bar I recommend getting ramps. You'll need to have the rear suspension compressed to easily install the end links on the rear sway.

If you need to borrow a pair let me know.

Or you can just rotate the sway bar and connect the links lol
:newhere:

Randum
CVO Forums User

Post by Randum » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:35 am

Good to know - I might just pick up a pair assuming I'd use them in the future.
Thanks, if I need them I'll shoot a PM over, just looking at the ton of options for rear sways now...
MK6 GTI
'13 Q5

www.JustinGorson.com

Dybz
CVO Member

Post by Dybz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:49 am

ramps ftw. a lot easier than jacking the car up if all you need is to get under it. that stuff is cheap though, get a pair of jacks, pair of ramps, and good jack. pepboys/autozone stuff is fine.
Hybrid > Diesel

bronson75
CVO Forums User

Post by bronson75 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:38 pm

I have a mega-super-heavy 3 ton Craftsman jack (thing weighs around 80lbs), which I use for garage work, and I have a small Pittsburgh (Harbor Freight) aluminum race jack for autocrosses, it's very lightweight and easy to transport. But if I'm doing oil changes, etc, I use ramps, I've had a set of Rhino Ramps for years, and I really like them.
My ratcheting jack stands are MVP or something, I think they were Walmart specials, but they work well.
Nothing special, if it gets the car off the ground and keeps it there, you're good. Features manufacturers promote are fast-lift (usually at the expense of load, however), lightweight (for race jacks, sure, but if it'll be a garage jack, who cares), and dumb stuff like LEDs in the jack pad.
Just be sure to ALWAYS use jack stands. I've heard plenty of stories of jacks failing while people are under the vehicle. They don't end well.
Drag racing is for fast cars, autocrossing is for fast drivers.
http://www.madisonsportscarclub.com
http://www.scirocco.org
2 cars, 9 cylinders, 36 valves

trepoman
CVO Member

Post by trepoman » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Ramps ftw unless you need wheels off.

I have 2 cheap trolley jacks and 4 Jack stands. the trolley jacks lift a bit higher than cheap floor jacks.

Protip: if your car is too low for your otherwise fine jack, keep a couple 2x6s around, and drive up on them.

Steve In Chicago
CVO Member

Post by Steve In Chicago » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:20 pm

I just picked up one of these at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/floor-jacks/2-ton-low-profile-heavy-duty-floor-jack-rapid-pump-68050.html

$130 plus tax. 2-5/8" low profile. 23-3/4" max height. Has a good length arm so it reaches way under. 2 ton. Solid & stable.
The only drawback is this thing is 100 lbs, so it's a garage jack, not a toss in the trunk jack.

They also had a selection of jack stands and aluminum racing jacks.